• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

edelbrock 1406 anyone have a bad carb?

treihesse

Bronco Guru
Has anyone ever had a bad carb?? Mine will not run when the motor is timed right . I think this carb is messed up.

dbruce9035

Loc.
Hutto, TX
are you talking defective new one or an old one go bad? i had the 1406 that set up for a long time. i didn't put any stabil in the gas tank. it would only run at 1000 rpms or above so i replaced it with the 1403;D

Last edited:

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Pull the top off pull out the metering rods and the jets and clean them out. It's probably just gummed up with gas deposits. Clean out the bowls and try again. I'd also suggest blowing out the fuel lines from the fuel pump back, new fuel filter and clean out the gas tank. At least slosh the bad stuff around and dump it out, then put new gas in. Should run much better...

OP
OP
treihesse

treihesse

Bronco Guru
Done all of that several times I think I have a weak coil spark

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
i have never had a edlebrock go bad like that. i got one from a jumk yard and cleaned it and ran it for 4 years till i sold the truck. use a air hose to blow out the ports. that stuff can turn into rock. your motor not getting enough fuel will act like your getting bad timing.