• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EDELBROCK 1915 AVS2 OFF-ROAD CARBURETOR

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I had one, if you're only going to be on the pavement then it's fine. If you're going to do any true off-road/crawling/etc, I'd find something else. I swapped mine with a quadrajet years ago and zero regrets other than I didn't do it sooner.

OP
OP
J

Jc.av8r

I had one, if you're only going to be on the pavement then it's fine. If you're going to do any true off-road/crawling/etc, I'd find something else. I swapped mine with a quadrajet years ago and zero regrets other than I didn't do it sooner.

Maybe some very light off-roading/camping trips at some point, but no extreme angles or anything. The fact that they market it as an "off-road" carb leads me to believe it's going to be sufficient for our usage.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Maybe some very light off-roading/camping trips at some point, but no extreme angles or anything. The fact that they market it as an "off-road" carb leads me to believe it's going to be sufficient for our usage.
I would still research it, there are threads here and elsewhere where folks weren't happy, even though it's advertised as an offroad carb. I would never recommend one to anyone if they plan on leaving the pavement.

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I run that same carb on my 331. Street only. As with any new carb, be sure to check (and set) the float setting prior to installing it and you should have no issues.

badandy73

Contributor
Broncoholic
OP, don't let the Qjet fanboys scare you off from going with the Edelbrock. Seems for your needs it would work just fine, doesn't sound like you're going to be out running rubicon with your rig.

I'm running the 1906 (650) AVS2 with an off-road kit in it and it's kept my 306 happy, drove it to the dunes last year and it ran great. As others have mentioned, as long as you spend some time tuning it to your setup it should serve you well.

Last edited:

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've been running a 1406 AFB Edelbrock on my '78 Bronco for over 25 years. I upgraded it with the offroad needle and seat kit and blocked off the fuel crossover between the two bowls. That and a fuel pressure regulator, so I could turn the pressure down to about 2-3 psi for trail time, and that truck has handled everything that Paragon, Tellico, Rausch Creek, WITC etc etc could throw at it. The AVS is an improved design than the AFB to begin with, and the offroad model already incorporates the mods I made to mine.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've been running a 1406 AFB Edelbrock on my '78 Bronco for over 25 years. I upgraded it with the offroad needle and seat kit and blocked off the fuel crossover between the two bowls. That and a fuel pressure regulator, so I could turn the pressure down to about 2-3 psi for trail time, and that truck has handled everything that Paragon, Tellico, Rausch Creek, WITC etc etc could throw at it. The AVS is an improved design than the AFB to begin with, and the offroad model already incorporates the mods I made to mine.
I have an Edelbrock 1403 500 CFM. When I first put it on, it would stumble when I went over a speed bump. Following the instructions on an off-road website, I did the modifications that you've listed here. It fixed the Edelbrock off road issues.
The biggest problem with an Edelbrock carb is the length of the float fulcrum is shorter than most. This reduces the pressure the float has on the needle valve.
A fuel pressure regulator is necessary because this carb likes fuel pressure no higher than 4 PSI.
I was fortunate to find a discontinued Cagle regulator. It reduces the pressure to 2 PSI at high engine vacuum and goes to full pressure when the vacuum drops.

OP
OP
J

Jc.av8r

So here's the deal...I can YouTube my way through most things but I only want to make sure I have the ability to get it running again after I install.

Intake manifold is easy enough, no concerns there. I assume there is no problem just deleting the EGR system with a new Edelbrock Performer intake manifold(?)

I've never installed an out of the box carb before nor do I know how to tune them properly.

Will I find it simple enough to install and get it running, just enough that I can get it to a professional tuner to dial things in? That's really all I want to achieve.

As far as usage, again I am not going to be off-roading in this thing to any extreme angles so that's not really a concern of mine.

As an aside, can someone explain what makes the Holley off-road avenger so much more expensive than the Edelbrock in question? ( https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produ...r-4BBL-670CFM-Manual/early-bronco-carburetors vs https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/19374/bronco_More_Engine_Parts )