• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Edelbrock AVS off-road carb- JUNK!!!!

Broncosix

Loc.
Indianapolis, IN
I finally went on a real off road trip this weekend in the bronco. It was at a place called Redbird orv park (Linton, IN). It was very muddy and there were some steep hills and deep muddy holes.
I was doing very well until I would get to the hills, then my brand new Edelbrock AVS off road carb would die out going up the hills and on the way down the hills. It really sucked!!! The only time I could make it up the hills was to get a run at it and hold it wide open. So much for crawling up those rocky hills. Almost turned it over when I hit rocks going 20mph straight up hill.
I am really disapointed in the Eldelbrock carb. This carb is designed to not flood out going up and down hills.
Has anyone else had problems with this carb?
I am going to call Edelbrock when they open today and see what can be done. It was not cheap ($375.00) and I could flood out with a cheap ass carb just as easy as this expensive one.
Oh, the new tires worked very well(36" IROKS) would work even better with a beadlock with lower air pressure. I was running 19 psi in the front and 14.5 psi in the rears. I didnt want to pop one off the rim.
There was a guy with our group running the Mickey Baha Claws 37x13's and they were unreal. They out performed the Boggers that day!!!

broncolove

The Bronco Ranch
Loc.
S.E. Michigan
Broncosix, I have not used the new edelbrock carb, I have the truck avenger on one of mine (works Great!!) and I run a edelbrock 600 on my other one. On the edelbrock I installed the offroad kit they offer and it works good. I also have adjustable fuel pressure and a electric fuel pump on it. But it seams to do good on the angles even crawling. I ran the edelbrock all weekend in attica when I went without a problem. Sounds like something is goofy on yours. Is it flooding out or just running out of gas?

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D Be for you scrap it you mite try setting the float's as it sounds like there to high and flooding you out good luck. %) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
For that kind of price, I'm with you, I'd expect it to work a whole lot better. Return it, with a nastygram. I've pretty well decided that Edelbrocks are great for cars, but not worth a damn on a trail rig.

I know, I know, they can be modified. But I'm lazy, I don't want to have to monkey around with my stupid carb, I'm a big fan of set it and forget it. Stuff that doesn't work, just isn't worth having.

When you have money back in hand, give ol' Chuck a call at BC, and order up one of his 'special' Q-jet carburetors. Talk to him on the phone, describe what you are wanting to do, and he'll set you up with the right one.

I bolted a 'well used' old Q jet to my rig this summer, and it now stays running where it never would before. Chucks are a step above that, and I've never heard anything negative about them.

OP
OP
B

Broncosix

Loc.
Indianapolis, IN
I spoke with the Edelbrock tech guy and he said that my float level is too high. So I will check the float level when I get home. He also stated that I may have to install a rubber hose in the back of the carb on the inside to prevent fuel from sloshing between bowels.
(If they knew that was a problem, why didnt they do it?)
(If the carb is an "OFF ROAD" carb, why isnt the float set for "Off Road"???)
I really did not expect to have to mess with this thing, thats what I paid good money for.
Oh well, hopefully the suggestions will fix it.

Thanks

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thats also why some people use fuel pressure regulators and go down to about 2 psi fuel pressure when off road. There is no reason to fill the bowls any faster and if the bowl is full and you tilt, it won't matter if the float is closed, it can flood.

What would be even better would be to run 2 orifices and be able to switch them. One for off road and the other for on road. Then if you could keep a steady pressure you could control how fast you filled the bowls.

Sorry for the crazy talk.

Jeff in AZ

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
Yep, sounds like the float level is high. The slosh tube on the bowl vent is also a good ideal. I also agree that if this is an offroad model it should have some sort of slosh proof went from the factory. As for the high float level, most factory settings are to the rich or safe side. Edelbrock doesn't want to be responsible for leaning out a new engine and melting it down. Patients and some fine tuning should fix your problems.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Very few carbs are just Bolt on and go some people get lucky others get what they think is junk. Get to know your carb and once its setup right you'll love it. Although I love Holleys a lot more than the others because you cant beat the external adjustable floats. I've even seen a couple of BC's early qjets that were junk