• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Edelbrock's New Off-Road AVS Carb

OP
OP
T

TrailDawg

Loc.
Lima, OH
I don't plan on buying on, I"ll stick to fuel injection. Just wondered what people's thoughts were on it.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
I am also considering this carb. I believe carbs are easier to work with than FI; and I like simplicity. Many have had great success with the Holley OR. The Edelbrock is a little too new yet. When I get mine back togehter I will use either the Holley or Edelbrock.

67ster

Bronco Guru
It isn't new ! That style carb. was a Carter AVS from back in the late 60's early 70's used by Chrysler . Even the "Edelbrock " carb is a copy of the Carter AFB which have been used by most auto makers since the 60's .

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
[quote author=67ster link=board=5;threadid=21225;start=0#msg163672 date=1061504641]
It isn't new ! That style carb. was a Carter AVS from back in the late 60's early 70's used by Chrysler . Even the "Edelbrock " carb is a copy of the Carter AFB which have been used by most auto makers since the 60's .
[/quote]

I don't know how much of the marketing you can believe, but it sounds as if they reworked it, so in a way it is new(New internals at least). Hell if you want to apply the "It's been around since" approach then you could say the same for every single part of your engine.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
The Edelbrock is not a copy of the Carter AFB. Edelbrock bought Carter a few years ago and is now selling the AFB with their name on it. Yes it has been modified since the late '60 but it is still the same basic design.
Having said that, I'm sure the one their selling modified for off-road use is better for off-road use than the non-off-road use one they are still selling. I doubt it is as good for off-road use as a Q-jet with similar mods because the Q-jet was better for off-road use to start with. If you do your wheeling where the Earth is predominantly flat, I'm sure the Carter/Edelbrock will work fine for you.