• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Edelbrock's off-road needle and seat kit?

cs_88

Bronco Guru
Is anybody using Edelbrock's off-road needle and seat kit? if so, what do you think?

csjr

Loc.
Lighthouse Point, FL
Yes, I am. I installed it when new and the carb has performed flawlessly. I live in Florida where it's mostly flat as a pancake, and I've never tested on any mountain trails, but otherwise I would highly recommend it for the price. I would also recommend removing the carb from the engine for the installation to avoid small pieces dropping into the engine. Good luck.

Mherriford

Loc.
Oregon City, OR
ive used my carb both ways both with and without the kit and would totally recomend the needle and seat kit the bronco works much better off road with it

dirtwheels

I've used it years ago and it worked OK for high speed or trail riding. Just don't expect that carb to work on extreme angles at lower RPMs ( rock crawling) like Holley's Avenger carb or stock 2 barrel.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've got an Edelbrock on my 429 and it was night and day difference with and without the off-road needle kit...I can't believe they make you pay extra for it to be honest. Even with the off-road kit, my Holley T/A on my 351W performs better both on and off-road, hands down.

Duke Nukem

Loc.
Simi Valley
I had one. It helps a little but my old edelbrock carb still flooded or starved when off camber. In addition to installing the kit you should also adjust your float level and block off the rear channel where fuel sloshes between your fuel bowls. There's a pretty good writeup on doing this if you search the classicbroncos archives.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
It helps greatly to make it run better over rough terrain, but doesn't really change its performence at steep angles.
I now have EFI.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I have it too and it works great, only issue is at extreme angles but even then is just gets a little rich and wont idle without a little help from the pedal.
Definately worth the money if you already have an edelbrock. If not a T/A or FI would be a better choice.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Edelbrock carb

I talked to the Elelbrock tech line about that and the only thing the off road needles it to keep the needles from bouncing on a rough road. They won't help at severe angles. You need to put in a windage tray and slightly lower the fuel level. Edelbrock suggests only 1/16" lower than stock. There are a lot of tuning options for the Edelbrock. I,ve changed the metering rods for something that runs a little better at higher altitudes because it ran a bit rich. So far it runs great. Real snappy!