• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

efi troubles

CRZA1

Loc.
Albuquerque
So I have finally started playing with my EB again and have run into a few glitches in my Mustang efi setup. I had what I thought were some fuel starvation issues so I pulled the tank, cleaned it out, ditched the 2 pump setup, used a nearly new high pressure pump right at the tank.

Ran OK until it reached higher engine temp. Anything above 185 or so. Truck stumbles and dies like it is getting no fuel.

Took a months break and started playing with it again this week. Just fiddleing around I kinked the return line and the thing runs great. Got it up to opperating temp and everything is ok till i pull into the drive way. Motor stumbles and dies. Noticed the pressure regulator on the injector manifold was un plugged so I plugged it back into vacuum, no change.

After some trouble shooting I figured this much out.
With the return line blocked and the pump on, the hot motor will not start. With the pump off and the line un kinked the motor will start but will not run smoothly until the return is re-kinked (I turn the pump on right when the motor fires).
My pump seems to put pressure out until the motor gets hot and the high pressure line goes soft and the motor dies.
The pump is much quieter when the return is kinked.

My setup is a mass air mustang setup. A9 computer. EGR deleted (resistors in the circuit). Fuel pumps not run on the computer. just a toggle switch at 12 volts.

Very frustrating problem. It runs great until I think I have it fixed and it dies. Thanks for any help in advance.

Chris

BlackHorse

My new stock pressure regulator was bad right out of the box. I switched to an adjustable and put a gauge on it so I could monitor the pressure and problem solved. I'm not saying this is the problem but it's a good place to start.

OP
OP
C

CRZA1

Loc.
Albuquerque
My new stock pressure regulator was bad right out of the box. I switched to an adjustable and put a gauge on it so I could monitor the pressure and problem solved. I'm not saying this is the problem but it's a good place to start.

What did you use?

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Pull all the vacuum lines and make double sure that you don't have any leaks. My EFI 5.0 would do more or less the same thing.

Ben