• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ending an auction early on eBay?

ALben

Loc.
Tuscaloosa, AL
I have never bought or sold a vehicle on eBay before. I have a Bronco on there now w/ about 4 days left on auction. It met reserve day before yesterday. I put local sale on hold at that time to see how the auction came out. The guy that met reserve just contacted me asking me if I may want to end the auction early. Being a newbie I don't know correct etiquette in this situation. Am I shady or under-handed if I offer a price and side deal w/ the guy? Ebay says you can end an auction at least 12 hours prior to end, but the "legal thing" and the "right thing" to do are sometimes different. Need advise. Thanks.

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
Its your auction, you can do what you want. If the guy is serious and you are happy with the money take it and end the hassle. You may want to ad $500 or so to see if he'll take it. If you think the bronco will go for a lot more hold off or set a "buy it now" price. Lots of options, just get what you want first then worry about extras.
Steve

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Ebay's policy is that you can end the auction early to sell it to the highest bidder for the current high bid. If you are going to negotiate a higher price than that, Ebay's policy is against that... However, that being said, it being a vehicle, Ebay makes a fixed commission, so as long as you end the auction and sell it to the highest bidder, then in my opinion, no harm... What they are concerned with is that you don't sell it for more off of ebay, and they don't get a "fair" cut of the commission... but like I said on a vehicle it is fixed... I personally wouldn't feel too badly ending a vehicle early (if its for what you want)...

My $.02

DD

P.S. If the guy is willing to wait though, you may get more out of it by letting the auction play through... My experience is that the guy who wants to end the auction early wants a deal, so it doesn't get bid higher than he is willing to pay....

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
ochretoe said:
Its your auction, you can do what you want. If the guy is serious and you are happy with the money take it and end the hassle. You may want to ad $500 or so to see if he'll take it. If you think the bronco will go for a lot more hold off or set a "buy it now" price. Lots of options, just get what you want first then worry about extras.
Steve

Since his auction already has bids and the reserve is met, he would have to end the auction and relist it to put a buy it now on it... My thoughts is to wait for the auction to play out, so that you can see where it goes... If the reserve was met very early in the auction, and it has a few different bidders, I wouldn't end it early... again, my opinion here... it is your auction, and if you are truly happy with the money... go for it... someone get a deal and you get what you want.... everyone's happy!!

DD

adunham

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I've never ended an auction early, nor have I asked a seller to end an auction early. But, I have sold one vehicle in a bidder side deal after the close of the auction (reserve not met) and I have purchased one vehicle in the same exact scenario. I've also purchased one with a buy it now but it was exceptionally rare, so i just couldn't wait. I think you should go for whatever nets you the most money, as that is in your best interest and you are within the rules. However, I sure would be mad if I was the guy who had the high bid when the auction was cancelled. I've probably been of zero help here...

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
I'd say let it run... thats half the fun of ebay! I'b bummed if I was watching an item or vehicle that I really wanted to purchase on the last day to avoid all the bidding back and forth then it all of a sudden dissapeared

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Why in the world would you, as the seller, want to end the auction early?
What is your gain?
Of course it's easy to see the gain the potential buyer has... he keeps the price down which would be your loss.

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Mark Troy said:
Why in the world would you, as the seller, want to end the auction early?
What is your gain?
Of course it's easy to see the gain the potential buyer has... he keeps the price down which would be your loss.

Exactly! you were already planning on waiting the 7 days, so why not just wait...

DD

blackbeauty

Loc.
Woo-pig-sooie
I would get a deposit or payment in-full, before I would end an auction early. That way you know the buyer is serious, and you are not left with listing fees for nothing if the buyer backs out.

OP
OP
ALben

ALben

Loc.
Tuscaloosa, AL
Thanks for all the good advice. Good point on what do I have to gain by ending early. Reserve is met and the price can't get less, only more. Guess I should have thought that one out before I asked it. ?:?

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
Also if this guy gets outbid and the highest bidder doesn't come through you can always do a second chance offer. I say let it run..

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I would say don't end it unless you have good reason.

That being said, I did end my auction earlyI sold my 67 Cougar on eBay and ended the auction early. I probably lost a little money by not letting it run it's course, but I did it for two reasons;

The guy was coming through town with a trailer the day the auction ended. If I hadn't ended it early he would have had to wait another 3 weeks to get it, and I needed it gone to clear up space.

The second (and more important) reason was I had a good feeling about the buyer. I had a long phone conversation with him and it was obvious that he was an old car guy who understood what it meant to buy a 30+ year old vehicle. I knew if I sold it to him I wasn't going to get a bunch of complaints later because of little things not working.