• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine Died while driving today? Help Please...

murdock

Loc.
Anchorage, AK
Had a great time wheeling and trying out my new detroit today. But, on the way home, the engine started running funny. When I'd give it gas it would start to bog down and shudder badly ?:? . It finally started running so bad it shut off and I had to tow it home.

The bronco will start after a while and idle normally. When I rev it, it bogs down and shudders. So far I pulled the fuel line off at the carb and checked the electric fuel pump. It seemed to pump lots of gas out. While idling the voltage at the battery is 13 volts.

Any ideas? Things to check? All help is appreciated...

Engine is a stock 302 in my '74 EB.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
It is hard to say
It could be something as simple as dirt in the carb, or maybee water in the distributor.

What carb do you have, do you still have points??
Did you go through any water when you were off roading???

If so pull the distributor cap, dry it off. Then put the cap back on, and pull one wire off at a time dry each conection and put the wire back.

If I were to guess you have dirt in the carb somewhere, or water in the distributor, but with the vague discription it could be anything.

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
From the limited info we have I'd be looking at some junk clogging up the carb a bit. Maybe a clogged fuel filter somewhere in the line.
Joe

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
If you have a stock carburetor unscrew the filter from the front of the carb after disconnecting from the fuel line. Then put the carb end of the filter into your mouth, hold a piece of printer paper in front of the other end and blow through it. You will see on the paper what was in it and then just replace it with a three dollar Wix number 33046. Then check for any other hidden filters in line and do the same thing. Do not over tighten the new filter when replacing the old.

Check your plugs, wires, distributor, points, etc.

Also, give additional information so the experts here can help you further.

Good Luck

71BroncoBoy

Loc.
Tallahassee, FL
I had the same problem myself...when I got it checked out it turned out to be that half my distributor wasnt firing...

When I would start the rig it would idle pretty hard and if I touched the gas it would bog down immediately...check to see if your distributor is firing to all cylinders...

hope you get it fixed soon bronco downtime is the worst!!!....

OP
OP
murdock

murdock

Loc.
Anchorage, AK
Thanks for the input guys! Got it back on the road tonight. Checked spark and didn't have any at the coil, so we replaced the coil (coil was also leaking oil) and the ignition module. During the coil/module replacement we noticed gas leaking out of the carb when throttle is applied. Turns out it was the accelerator pump. Replaced that and it was good to go.