• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine fire up problems

hubdawg

Finally started my project and having a few problems. The 1970 302 had not run since 95 and has had all new plugs, wires, hei, waterpump, aluminum radiator, fan, edelbrock intake and 1403 rebuilt carb. Set the timing at 11 and runs fairly well...crackles and pops a little but the temp runs right up to and past 185 while idleing in the driveway. Hard to take out and run since it currently has no exhaust and open headers. Put a new 185 thermostat (correct direction) in but it heats right up and the top hose has hard pressure. Since I have no contact with the PO can't ask any ?s and just took his word that it ran well before he started the teardown. Also there is no heater so the one line to the heater core is plugged off. Any ideas, am I missing something

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Was the motor stored with rusty water for 20 years? If so the steam holes in the upper part of the head gaskets may be plugged interrupting the proper flow of coolant.

OP
OP
hubdawg

hubdawg

No water was in the block and it had no water pump. I know there is supposed to be pressure in the top hose but it actually blew off, thought the pressure cap would have worked

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Y'all did put the right direction water pump on?

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
The blades will be reverse on the pump for one and what type belt system are you running? Grove or serp.?

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Probably got the right one then but looking at the impeller you could tell for sure .

Have the heads been off? Backwards head gasket can cause this sorta problem also .

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
When the head gaskets are installed correctly a corner of the head gasket should be exposed at each head lower front corner.

69red

Loc.
Cochrane, AB,CAN
if you have a head gasket leak from the cylinder into the water jacket, the system will pressure up and heat up fast from the exhaust being injected into the coolant.

another thought, did you burp all the air out of the engine when you filled her up?

OP
OP
hubdawg

hubdawg

Didn't burp the engine, how do I do that?. Oil and antifreeze are both clean as new

OP
OP
hubdawg

hubdawg

I do notice that I get a rear main seal leak after running if that makes any difference

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
That seal leak won't bother nothing but the garage floor .

To burp,park on a slight incline.Front pointed up. Remove radiator cap n let run for a while til atleast the thermostat opens.

Oh n be sure park brakes are on and or wheels are blocked.

Last edited:

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
An incorrectly installed head gasket will block water passages through the head.

OP
OP
hubdawg

hubdawg

Just ran it for 5 minutes with the front up and cap off and the water level burped and surged a lot and put the cap on and the temp ran up to 200. Then I opened the cap back up released pressure and refilled the core and the temp came back down to 180 and idled that way for 5 minutes. Must have been an air lock or something..thanks for all the help now on to my next problem. Getting closer just keep knocking them off one by one with help from the forum.:)