• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engined died / changing fuel filters.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Bronco died yesterday while driving. Somewhat embarrassing to be blocking traffic so thankful for the kindness of strangers with a tow strap.

Not really sure how to troubleshot this. 302, carbureted, electric external fuel pump. It just simply stopped like was out of gas. Fuel pump is running anyway, not sure if that means its actually working or not though. I do have two inline fuel filters that I'm sure have not been changed in a long time so i'm wondering if this could be the issue. either way, this needs to be done. Searched but could not find how to replace the filters without draining the tank.

Thoughts appreciated. thank you.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
It's never a bad idea to change filters, but I doubt that would cause it to suddenly die and not restart.
A little troubleshooting will keep you from changing other parts indiscriminately.
A catch can held at the carb end of the disconnected fuel line will tell you right away if you're getting fuel.
Pull a plug wire and hold it to a good ground on a screwdriver while cranking to check the ignition.

From this point, you can focus on the thing that's not providing the spark or fuel.

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
took air filter off. didn't start. came back a few our later, started. #gremlin

Juiceman

Contributor
this happened to me and it was actually the coil wire had come just loose enough to not start. Had similar symptoms like it was out of gas. Check to see if it is getting spark. Could be that the little engine vibration caused a wire to come just loose enough

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
took air filter off. didn't start. came back a few our later, started. #gremlin

This same thing happened to me, and it was a fuel filter that was added near the selector valve under the truck. It began with an occasional sputter while driving and then just died about a mile from home. Turned out the filter was blocked enough that fuel couldn’t flow freely enough while being consumed. But it would trickle through and allow a later start. The filter at the carb was not plugged.

Changed out the filter and runs fine again. That being said, I know the next step is to drop the tanks for a good clean out and do the fuel lines as well. The filter is just a stop gap, gotta take care of the source of the problem.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
This same thing happened to me, and it was a fuel filter that was added near the selector valve under the truck. It began with an occasional sputter while driving and then just died about a mile from home. Turned out the filter was blocked enough that fuel couldn’t flow freely enough while being consumed. But it would trickle through and allow a later start. The filter at the carb was not plugged.

Changed out the filter and runs fine again. That being said, I know the next step is to drop the tanks for a good clean out and do the fuel lines as well. The filter is just a stop gap, gotta take care of the source of the problem.

Adding additional filters to a carbed motor isn't a good idea. It won't make the fuel any cleaner than one. All it does is increase the chances of vapor lock.
If you want a filter with more than OEM capacity, install a hose barb on the carb, and install an inline filter.

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
A bad coil will do that.. when they heat up they stop working, cool back down and they're good for awhile. I had to nurse one by pulling over several times and pouring water on it on a trip to Truckee a few years ago. I got into Truckee just about an hour before the local parts store closed and bought a new one and was on my way.

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Appreciate all of the insight. I'm running again (magically) and will just this to isolate the problem. Thank you.

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
I got some bad fuel and the same happened to me. I run just one fuel filter between my mechanical fuel pump and the carb. It is one of the glass ones that you can easily see through and it unscrews with a couple of 5/8s wrenches. It had black-colored garbage in it. I topped off with known good fuel and ran it for a few days and changed the filter again and all has been well since. Fuel filters are not rocket science and more than one is a pain. The previous owner of mine had one in front of the rear tank, another at the aux tank and another between the fuel pump and carb. I did away with the other two and it is much easier to see what is getting to the carb now without crawling underneath to check two other filters.

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Back on the road. still not sure what happened but all is good in the bronco world for now. Went ahead and swapped the two fuel filters. No going to spend a ton of time on trouble shooting right now because I see a new wiring harness and EFI in the near future. I will probably go ahead and pro actively swap out my ignition coil, voltage regulator and a few other lower cost components during the process.