• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Exhaust Tip Paint Recommendations Please

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Hi Everyone - looking for some recommendations for a black gloss rattle can spray paint that can be used on exhaust tips. I dont expect them to get too hot but need something that won't chip off in the heat or pit from sand from the road.

Thanks im advance for any advice!

CraigS

Anything will work and keep a can handy because you're going to redo them from time to time.

OP
OP
G

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Thanks - I should have added that The mounting will not allow me to spray them without risking overspray on the body. looking to do this right the first (and only) time.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I use this stuff. It's an epoxy that's good up to 250 degrees. Not sure where I got it. Probably Autozone.

bf4d490ebce5ad733bf64b3396722ea9.jpg

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Powder coating would be my first choice.

If you use epoxy paint before you buy make sure it resists UV, many of the epoxy paints on the market don't.

navalbronco66

VHT sells exhaust paint and can be found at autozone among other places. I was watching a you tube video where this guy used some 2k spray paint to do his calipers and after 5 or 6 coats, many coats to smooth out the calipers, he used hi temp clear coat on top. Literally cooked his calipers with hi performance driving and paint was intact. People tend to under estimate automotive paint. Only thing would be to scuff, primer then paint.

OP
OP
G

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Thanks. I called a local PPG paint store and the guy there told me to buy some Deglosser at HD or lowes to prep and remove the sheen off of thr chrome first, scuff and then paint. the deglosser helps the paint adhere too.

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
Powder coat is the best, but expensive. I had all my chrome trim and bumpers powder coated and it was costly. Even the "Bronco" lettering, door handles and mirrors are powder coated. No chrome on the exterior body at all. You can buy powder coated tips in about any size if you look around. That would be the cheapest was rather than having your existing ones done.

Piglet

not spray paint, but ive used black por-15 on my diesel exhaust with no problems.