• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer 5.0 crankshaft position sensor bolts

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Howdy all. I'm just wrapping up my explorer front end on a 5.0, and I can't seem to locate the crankshaft position sensor bolts. Does anyone know by chance what size they are?

Incidentally, I found an explorer forum that said they were 5/16, they're not. They're close to 1/4, but I suspect they might be metric?

I wish I'd found this excellent write-up on the explorer conversion earlier, unfortunately the only bolt it does not detail are the crankshaft position sensor ones: https://classicbroncos.com/tech/explorer-5-0-serpentine-accessory-drive-belt-conversion

THX,
JB

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Getting a bump, I'm stuck until I can get my crank position sensor and nothing I have seems to fit the holes?

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Well, I unpuckered and carefully ran a 1/4 20 tap in. No resistance, so I can conclude that the explorer front cover crankshaft position sensor bolts are 1/4 20.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
nope, metric. I use an 8mm socket to remove them. off-hand I don't know the specs on thread size though.
hopefully you good to go with your conversion. 🤞

gnpenning

Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
thread-pitch-metric-2.png
thread.jpeg

PDQ

Contributor
I feel your pain as I went through this exact same thing.....and had even tried here with no luck. Nothing in the hardware store lined up at all, so I went back to Sandmann as I had purchased the front dress kit from him and he hooked me up with some extras he had. Huge help and thanks to him, but still cant tell you what the heck pitch they are....

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Right or wrong, I tapped it with 1/4-20.
After the first turn, the tap went in without resistance. It felt as if that was the native thread and I had just cleaned up some chingered initial threads.

More importantly, new bolts tightened down quite nicely and hold the sensor in place tightly.