• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer pump w/ 4x4x2 box

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Replacing my Scout PS box with a 4x4x2 box. I am running an Explorer PS Pump.

Has anyone taken the adapter route and just used a 1/2-20 to 11/16-18 adapter for the pressure line or would I be better off with making a new line?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I remember reading somewhere the explorer pump is pretty sensitive on input and output fittings. I think anything other than stock cavitates the fluid.

beaux312

Loc.
Hartford, AL
The pump fitting is depth sensitive go in to far and it wont work, get the right adapter and I dont see why it wouldnt work

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I already have the pump side of the house working fine with the adapter and everything. I was going more for whether or not I should try to adapt the line I currently have on my explorer pump to work with the 4x4x2 box.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Chuzie, are you running a 6AN line? If so, I got the fitting from Summit Racing. I ordered like 5 of them though, because they were all the same but with different part #'s. Of course only one of the 5 was long enough to properly engage the inverted flare fitting. Stupid me never wrote the part # down... Long story short, if you are running a 6 AN you can adapt it for about $5-10.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Good thought, but unfortunately I am not running AN and the only compatible stuff Summit seems to offer for my adapter needs is in AN. I may need to hit up a hydraulic shop to find the 1/2-20 to 11/16-18 IF adapter or just have a new line made and convert to -6AN to allow for future compatibility.

bronco-billy-66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madison Mississippi
AN and JIC interchange. Any hydro shop can make what u need in JIC.
Saying AN at a tractor store will get you the 1000 yard stare
I would get the Lee's adapter. Makes life easier

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Lees does not carry such an adapter for this. They do have the -6 for the 1/2-20. So I will have no choice but to have a new hose made to fit the box.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Lees does not carry such an adapter for this. They do have the -6 for the 1/2-20. So I will have no choice but to have a new hose made to fit the box.

Are you talking about the pump end? Or the box end?

For the pump end,

P/N 40810 for the fitting and P/N 80520 for the washer from Lee.

Todd Z.

beaux312

Loc.
Hartford, AL

If you go with the AN-6 it will take you about 10-15 mins to make it, its super easy

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I am talking about the box end. I was thinking about making it too. Are you referring to the push lock stuff? How reliable do you think it is in this application?

At some point I may be going to hydroboost along with my ram. With all those eggs in the same basket, I cannot afford to blow a line.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I am talking about the box end. I was thinking about making it too. Are you referring to the push lock stuff? How reliable do you think it is in this application?

At some point I may be going to hydroboost along with my ram. With all those eggs in the same basket, I cannot afford to blow a line.

I re-read your original post and think I understand what you were originally asking for now. Somehow, we got off on some tangents in this thread - imagine that!

I don't think the 1/2-20 - 11/16-18 adapter you're asking about exists if I understand what you're saying.

I'd second others' recommendations to use the re-usable fittings and p/s hose. I made some new hoses myself this weekend for my truck and like others say - it's kinda fun and not too difficult. I use push-lock hose/barbed fittings on low pressure/return lines but not on high pressure lines.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Thanks Todd. I think I know what direction I need to go in now.