• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Extended E-Brake cables on the cheap

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I want to keep E-brakes on my rig, even though it is primarily a trail rig only, so my search began...

I went through my buddies piles of junk, parts and God only knows what else looking for some. I scored a set of an early 80's E250 van, they were close, but still not quite what I wanted.

I headed over to the local O'Reilly's auto parts store (just around the corner) and started working with the guy behind the counter. After ordering several sets, and measuring and fooling around with them, I learned that the cables for a 78 Bronco work perfectly!

The part #'s are BC92863 and BC92867 respectively. This is for "Brake Best" brand cables. Manufactured in Italy. The prices were $24.99 and $25.99, and I had them the next day. There's boatloads of slack for my axle to droop. Just thought I'd share.

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
If your cables you have now are decent the passenger side one can be switched to the driver side and you only then need one longer cable for the pass side.

OP
OP
Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
TexasBronco said:
If your cables you have now are decent the passenger side one can be switched to the driver side and you only then need one longer cable for the pass side.

Mine were so rusted up and siezed that this wasn't an option. :-[

That's a good idea to share though, thanks!

72moore

thank you

thanks for sharing the e brake info, I will have a much easier time now!!!!!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

broncobear22

Loc.
Denver, Colorado
Gummi Bear,
how much longer were these to stock cables? I have a 3 1/2" suspension, a 2" body lift and a 78" bronco full width rear end. I will need something pretty long. At ride height right now my stock cables are about 3" to short to even put in the backing plate, and then there will be articulation to add to that. So probably about a foot longer then stock. Are these about that distance?

drscotch

Loc.
Edmonton, Alberta
Gummi Bear said:
The part #'s are BC92863 and BC92867 respectively. This is for "Brake Best" brand cables. Manufactured in Italy. The prices were $24.99 and $25.99, and I had them the next day. There's boatloads of slack for my axle to droop. Just thought I'd share.

Great stuff, thanks.

OP
OP
Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
broncobear22 said:
Gummi Bear,
how much longer were these to stock cables? I have a 3 1/2" suspension, a 2" body lift and a 78" bronco full width rear end. I will need something pretty long. At ride height right now my stock cables are about 3" to short to even put in the backing plate, and then there will be articulation to add to that. So probably about a foot longer then stock. Are these about that distance?

Good question, on a wide rear end like yours, they may be a squeaker. The stock cables are just silly short. You do have the exact same suspension and BL dimensions as I do. I have a stock width axle, and there's lots of slack. You may pick some up, and just return them if they're too short. I'd guess that they will be real close to what you need.

I did learn that the ones from a BB bronco are actually longer than those from any of the pickups. That was interesting. I thought a long bed pickup would have some super long cables, but in reality it had a long cable from the pedal to the lever. Strange, huh?

Let us know what you find out, I want this kind of information to be able to be drawn up in a search query.

broncobear22

Loc.
Denver, Colorado
Just a follow up. The cables I used were both from the passenger side and were long enough to go up and over the frame, in between the tire and leafs. They worked great.