• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

External Clutch Slave Cylinder Heat Question

gclauson

Contributor
I am working to convert the clutch linkage to the late 1980s Ford OEM external clutch slave cylinder and master cylinder. I have about 2 inches from the front of the slave cylinder to the exhaust down pipe.

For those of you that have done this conversion, have you had any heat issues with the plastic slave cylinder or nylon hydraulic hose? I am concerned about melting them.

SDBMtber

No heat related issues on mine. There is a fiberglass sleeve over the line that came on mine. I make sure to slide the down close to the slave, which is closest to the exhaust. Plastic slabs cylinder looks just fine.

I did buy some fittings to replace the stock nylon line and convert to braided stainless with -3 AN fittings though. Haven’t installed yet, but I was having clutch disengagement problems so i bought to switch over. You could go that route if you’re more worried about the line than the slave cylinder.

One thing to watch for - my issue just this weekend looks to be firewall flex and not getting full movement of the slave cylinder. Was apparently a problem on the trucks this was originally installed on too. Making a bigger 1/8” doubler plate to go by the master mount, which hopefully will resolve it.

OP
OP
G

gclauson

Contributor
Thanks! Glad to hear the plastic slave is durable! I had already planned to convert the line to braided -3 or -4 AN. I also found that Exedy makes aluminum-bodied slave and masters that are compatible with the Ford parts, so I've ordered them. Thanks for the heads-up on the firewall flex. I'll add reinforcement while I'm doing the install.

And, that heat shield looks like a good idea, just to be sure!

Joe473

Summit racing has the adapter to go from the master with the roll pin to AN fitting and you can then make a stainless AN line work

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

gclauson

Contributor
Thanks, Joe473- I ordered the fittings and SS line. Should work great.

terrybr

Braided clutch line

I got this from amazon Perfection clutch 185-204 Braided clucth line