• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

extreme motor mounts

Dannyboy71

Are the extreme motor mounts able to mount on either side or is there a right and left side. The ones I have installed seem to be off a little and my drive train is closer to the drivers side frame rail making it impossible to get my atlas in. Can I slot the holes where the mounts go in to gain some adjustment or is that not advisable. What mounts (which vendor) are you using? Thinking of trying different mounts first?

treihesse

Bronco Guru
I would not slot them. They will losen up over time. I think they are universal

carmi

Loc.
Oroville
Loosen them up and give the tranny a little nudge. I was able to move mine over quite a bit. Might try putting a jack under the tranny to alleviate some of the weight. Think I used a ratchet strap to assist in tugging on the tranny. I would pull on the tranny not the Atlas due to the Atlas having an aluminum case. If you can, lift on the motor a little with a cherry picker. I had the Wild Horses mounts and was able to get close to 3/4" either way. If your trying to clock it flat you may be out of luck unless you notch the frame. I was able to get 1/16" clearance when clocked flat but really put the motor mounts in a bind. Left it clocked down due lack of clearance and front drive shaft angles.

OP
OP
D

Dannyboy71

Loosen them up and give the tranny a little nudge. I was able to move mine over quite a bit. Might try putting a jack under the tranny to alleviate some of the weight. Think I used a ratchet strap to assist in tugging on the tranny. I would pull on the tranny not the Atlas due to the Atlas having an aluminum case. If you can, lift on the motor a little with a cherry picker. I had the Wild Horses mounts and was able to get close to 3/4" either way. If your trying to clock it flat you may be out of luck unless you notch the frame. I was able to get 1/16" clearance when clocked flat but really put the motor mounts in a bind. Left it clocked down due lack of clearance and front drive shaft angles.

I think my cups mounted to the frame may be off. the motor mounts were loose and I used a ratchet strap around the tail shat of the transmission and pulled it as far as it would go towards the passenger side until the drivers side engine valve cover touched the fire wall. I never was able to get the t-case on. There was still not enough room. I measured the transmission output shaft after all the pulling and it was still 3/8" closer to the drivers side frame rail than the passenger side. Guess I will borrow the cherry picker again and try a remount? I don't know what else to do.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
:mad:I had trouble with my extreme motor mounts, it made my engine 1 inch off.it was twisted ,the driver side valve cover hit the firer wall. Their was no way to line up the tranny. Plus I had to highly modify them to fit my 302. Ended up putting stock mounts on.

carmi

Loc.
Oroville
Do you have a 351? Not uncommon to have to clearance the fire wall a little to clear the valve covers. The extreme mounts are also taller so you may have to clearance even for a 302. You could add a body lift to help offset the added height from the extreme motor mounts. If you are not clocking the Atlas flat there should be plenty of room. Be sure to look at each side of the frame mounts and see if the studs from the motor mounts are in similar locations. If the motor is twisted, one stud will lower than the other. That can kick the motor one way or the other. In addition, be sure to loosen all the mount bolts because as the motor is shifted they need to be able to twist a little in order to sit flush on the frame mount. If I remember right, I had to tap the passenger side mount to get it to twist just enough to sit flush.

Last edited:

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
When I installed mine, I noticed the hard way that there was a slight difference in them, I ended up switching them side for side and then had to force the trans over a bit to line up.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
why should you have to force anything!!!!They should work with out forcing anything, when you use stock ones do you have to use force. When I switched back to the stock ones, everything fit with out forcing anything.

OP
OP
D

Dannyboy71

Do you have a 351? Not uncommon to have to clearance the fire wall a little to clear the valve covers. The extreme mounts are also taller so you may have to clearance even for a 302. You could add a body lift to help offset the added height from the extreme motor mounts. If you are not clocking the Atlas flat there should be plenty of room. Be sure to look at each side of the frame mounts and see if the studs from the motor mounts are in similar locations. If the motor is twisted, one stud will lower than the other. That can kick the motor one way or the other. In addition, be sure to loosen all the mount bolts because as the motor is shifted they need to be able to twist a little in order to sit flush on the frame mount. If I remember right, I had to tap the passenger side mount to get it to twist just enough to sit flush.

Yes I do have the 351 and your right passenger motor mount stud is a little bit higher I will loosen all the bolts and lift the motor a little with the hoist and see if i can get it to even out. Not tomorrow though I have wifey duties!

OP
OP
D

Dannyboy71

why should you have to force anything!!!!They should work with out forcing anything, when you use stock ones do you have to use force. When I switched back to the stock ones, everything fit with out forcing anything.

Yeah I agree, I still have my stock ones and will put those back if I have too. Just wanted super strong mounts under the new motor.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
They should be the same, there is no left and right.
The stock ones are way more squishy than the extreme ones so anything that may be off when the towers were welded on take a little more work to get them in, normally just use a pry bar to move it over.
As for the atlas, it's common to notch the frame, the atlas just does not fit, it's too wide.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Couple things-

- use stock mts but make sure they have the large "rivet or pin" that goes entirely thru the mount so if it does break it won't split in half. Take a look at the construction on one and you'll see what I'm trying to explain

- extreme mounts raise your engine some...hence the valve cover issue along with quality control -- possibly Ford and extreme mount builders.?

- my Atlas sits a bit higher than stock ht and it has appr. 5/16" clearance to the frame. They are big compared to the D20's that don't last me 18months...

I'd ditch the extreme mounts and use the one that won't tear/split completely in half IF it ever breaks.

Galt72

Contributor
I have the extreme motor mounts. I fought them for 5 hrs today. i lifted the engine, tranny, pry bars, beat them, no matter what the engine looked twisted and a bubble high on the passenger side. As a last resort I grabbed the old mounts and everything was perfect in 5 mins. All I can think to do is egg out holes to give the mounts some relief. Not sure that's a good idea. I did take them back to WH and they compared them with others they had and all the holes are cut the same, meaning mine weren't cut wrong. Pretty disappointed in $150 mounts I cant use.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
What motor do you have?
Some of the new motors need some casting to be ground away.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Here's a thread I started about the extreme mounts. I had a original 74 302, and thought I would not have to grind them or the block, but wrong. I tried everything to get them to work but in the end, I ended up using stock mounts. I know every bronco and engine are not the same, it was just weird, after all the grinding to get them to fit the block, it still was twisted in the frame. http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229105

Galt72

Contributor
I have a 87 5.0 block, I didn't need to grind anything on the block "i could see". It just appeared to me that the holes were so far out that I would have had to weld them up and redrill them. I didn't even understand the twisted thing. I gave up and installed new stock mounts and moved on.