• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

F-150 coil springs in a classic Bronco

John Griswold

Loc.
Medford, NJ
With the used set of 5.5" springs (coils and leafs) i bought the rear of the bronco is 3" higher than the back. From what I'v been told the ride height of the coils is correct in the front at about 12" between axle and frame so the back must be too high. I was looking into Full size Bronco or F-150 coils with more than 5.5" to level the truck. The diameter of the full size/F-150 springs is slightly larger than classic bronco springs. Has anyone put full size/F-150 springs in their bronco? With a little grinding, drilling, and welding I could mount Full size/F150 top and bottom buckets and try taller springs in the front to level the truck. Anyone have any experience with this or advice? Thanks!

Bronco717274

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tremont, Ms.
I had 6in. full size springs in the front of a bronco and it road like an old wagon and had no flex. They are designed for a much heaver truck than the bronco. I hated them!

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
Ditto: I put some in a '75 that I had and between those & the re-arched (with added leaf) rear springs it rode very stiff. Except for when I had 3 other offensive linemen it it with me, then it was slightly less stiff. Got the lift I wanted, but not the ride.

Deano

Bronco Guru
I have them in one of mine now. The coil springs for a full size are about 1.5" taller than the EB coils are and yes they ride like a wagon. I have a 351C in one of mine and the heavier springs help with the heavier motor and it don't ride bad that way.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had 6in. full size springs in the front of a bronco and it road like an old wagon and had no flex. They are designed for a much heaver truck than the bronco. I hated them!

That. In fact, all the 'old school' lift kits of the olden days from Rancho, K-Bar and even Duffs were of the "F-150" derivative variety and would beat you to death. I still have a couple built with those...but I AM old.;D

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have posted this here before but I'll tell this story again. Years ago a good friend of mine bought a '74 Bronco . It was his first 4X4 so he did not know what to really look for. To get some lift to clear the 12.50 x 33 tires it had on it the PO had used a two inch block in the rear at the spring pads and on the front they pulled the coils and welded a section of five or six inch diameter pipe about four inches in length to the bottom of the coils. The front spring on the driver side ended up breaking where it was welded and he brought it down to the house. I had a set of stock coils from my '77 F150 that I had taken out when I lifted it. We took the welded and broken coils out of it and put the F150 coils in and while it sat level and he had clearance for the tires it did ride a little stiff. So the F150 coils will work but you probably won't like the ride.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
That's the way we first lifted our broncos, back in the 70s. 150 coils in the front and blocks in the back. They understood why they called it a bronco when we did.