• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Factory tire carrier question

michahoov

On the main part of the carrier, the flat vertical piece has two holes. Top is for the long bolt that holds the wheel. What is the bottom keyhole shaped one for. I’m assuming just a short bolt to hold it on, but why keyhole shaped. Also, does the wheel just hang on the hook and secured with the long nut, round plate, and wingnut. Just want to make sure I’m not missing anything.

Hotrodjohn

The keyhole is for the safety cable that keeps your carrier from swinging out and denting your right rear quarter panel. There is not a bolt there. When you put it in and line up the carriage bolt for the wheel through it covers large part of keyhole and keeps the cable from coming out. The other end of cable connects down by the bumper on the frame rail with another mount. Do a search on here and you'll find some pics of how it all goes. I can't add pic or I would.

Last edited:

catfan

Contributor
I got the bumper mount for the cable if you don't have it, also some other parts for the carrier.