• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fender Flare Depth - HELP My Options? PICTURE INSIDE

BBronco

Loc.
B.C Canada
k3pzeg.jpg

The PO lengthened the wheel well of the rear quarters and front fenders to give a more long uncut look yet keeping them cut. With this happening it shows the corner of the inside wheel well. The picture explains better than words.

***My question is with fender flares will it cover this up? Or am I even able to put fender flares on since the shape is now longer? He lengthened it by 2.5"

Nelson

Loc.
Sulphur, LA

I have actually cut my fenders wider than the fiberglass flares that you can buy are made to cover. This inner fender area was trimmed so that the flare covers the inner fender area in front and rear. I then cut the flares and added 2.5" to the middle and spliced them back together with a piece of ss shim material and rivets counter sunk in the fiberglass. I then raised them to the body seam to allow for more wheel clearance. I also widend the bolt area 1" and on the rear moved the old fender lip where the uncut body line is to fit like the flare manufacturer intended and made them about 3/16" thick in order to keep them from cracking around the bolts as they age. In the process I closed off the back side of the flare for a cleaner look. This all adds weight and strength to the flares and a lot of time to build. They are truely one off custom and will be a pain if I ever crush one. I am in the middle of prepping the body and flares for paint. I can take pics if needed.

Nelson

OP
OP
B

BBronco

Loc.
B.C Canada
Yours did show the inside wheel well as this picture?

Does anyone know how thick/wide fender flares are? Maybe it wont show with them on?

Nelson

Loc.
Sulphur, LA

Yes, mine does show without the flare on ( a little more in the front than in the rear) and once installed the flare it is just inline with the edge of the inner fender so you really don't see it. I just trimmed up about 1.5" to remove the bottom edge of the cured area on both the front and rear.

Nelson

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I think a set of flairs will cover however after it is done you really dont notice the wheel well.

Attachments

• P1010086.JPG
    P1010086.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 54
  • P1010100.JPG
    P1010100.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 52
  • P1010016_2.JPG
    P1010016_2.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 60

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I say leave it...but if it really bothers you, why not just stretch the inner wheel tub forward so that you don't see it. There are several write-ups on stretching them rearward for those who have increased their wheelbase, but the same principals would apply regardless of the direction.