• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fender Flare Experts...

70 sport WA

OK...considering a change of fender flares, front and back. Currently there are fiberglass flares on, no idea the brand, probably put on by the PO pre-2004 before I bought it.

I bought a set of Bushwacker Dura Flex flares. They are (outside tip to outside tip) 45" in the front and 45" in the back.

The new front flares line up great--up to the holes drilled for the old fiberglass flares.

The rear flares...not so much. The old fiberglass flares are 46" tip to tip. Strange thing is that the holes for the back half of the old and new Dura Flex match up perfectly; it's the forward half where the Dura Flex are too short (see attached photo--right rear. The vanilla color is some kind of tape or paint that was under the old flares.)

So some questions:

1. One option is that I could exchange for the Dura Flex XL flares in the rear. Those are 49.75" and might just clear the chrome trim or I could trim.

2. Another option is that there are some rear fiberglass flares from JBG that measure 46" which is what my old ones measure (and 39" inside to inside, although mine have been trimmed and it appears this is the measurement on the old ones.)

Recommendations? Similar experiences?

What's throwing me are the ideas that a) the new front Dura Flex holes and fit lines up exactly with the old front fiberglass flares and b) the new (shorter) Dura Flex holes and fit line up toward the back half...making me think the XL version would fit fine.

Either the Dura Flex XL in the back would be the easiest to fit, trim, paint, etc. or the JBG fiberglass rears are 100% the way to go for fit. (Maybe I get the set to include the front, but then I run the risk of the same issues in that area, lol.)

Attachments

• Bronco12.jpg
    Bronco12.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 128

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Not sure the XL would solve this issue. The XL front leg does allow more clearance but to top portion of the XL follows the classic pretty close.
I know you are not asking for an install video but there are some helpful tips in here and it's pretty new. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uec6wdZXB0U

Jim

SHX669

Bronco Guru
What SteveL said ^^^ . I've got WHs war flares on both Broncos - and I would never buy Fiberglass flares as long as something else is available.

OP
OP
70 sport WA

70 sport WA

Not sure the XL would solve this issue. The XL front leg does allow more clearance but to top portion of the XL follows the classic pretty close.
I know you are not asking for an install video but there are some helpful tips in here and it's pretty new. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uec6wdZXB0U

Jim

Nice video, thanks! I installed flares before and--my apologies--once cut up the rear of a '77 many years ago to do it. Turned out fine, but I'll say this was a great video and learned some great tips.

So what I understand you saying is that even if the back portion of the non-XL Dura Flex flares on the rear line up really well, the front portion (top) of the XL won't give me more length than the non-XL version. Just a longer extension of the "drop" angle downward? IF so, the XL isn't going to help me (?)

OP
OP
70 sport WA

70 sport WA

What SteveL said ^^^ . I've got WHs war flares on both Broncos - and I would never buy Fiberglass flares as long as something else is available.

I've looked at other threads and info about War Flares...sounds like they are flexible, not just in terms of durability, but with installation they might allow for fitting that will adequately cover the area I need? Either bendable to give me more "top length" that I need, or reduce cutting by not running into the rocker panel chrome?

OP
OP
70 sport WA

70 sport WA

Another question...I don't care if I need to put fiberglass flares on back. Not like I can go back and un-cut the rear quarter, so I'm stuck with what I have. This isn't a serious trail rig and the old fiberglass flares have held up well. My concern is getting the best fit with the cut that I have.

So, I can

1. Try the Duraflex XL, but likely won't extend far enough along the top to cover the space needed.
2. Try the War Flares, but how flexible are they to cover what I need?
3. Get some fiberglass flares. But which ones? If it's a version that has the same "outside tip to outside tip" measurement as the current ones (46") what's the chance they just don't fit well and give the coverage (read: unpainted portion of the Bronco) that I need?

Dan

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Definitely go with with the Gorilla Warflares. Very flexible.

Recently did this with my 72. It was cut front and rear and had holes for at least 2 previous flare installation. The Warfares covered everything nicely and as Jim pointed out, I had to trim a little metal.

Attachments

• j8mciIyOQ5CZ%ZBuV2YwVg.jpg
    j8mciIyOQ5CZ%ZBuV2YwVg.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

NewDog

Contributor
Loc.
Surrey BC
What do you flare experts think of this issue? Mine aren't even on the front driver and passenger side. I bet the PO had a "o shite" moment when he put the marker light back on, and figured out they weren't lined up equally on both sides.

Took me a while to even notice it, but now that I have, it bugs me - a bit of OCD I guess.

Anyway, what do you think the solution is -do I just move the passenger one back slightly, so that it lines up more like the driver side does? Wouldn't need to move much, maybe 1/4", but I am thinking that might expose the holes at the front of the flare.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
David

Attachments

• pfender.JPG
    pfender.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 40
  • dfender.JPG
    dfender.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 40

Jfryjfry

You can adjust the marker lights probably easier. File the square mount holes to move the right light forward and the left light back. Wouldn’t take too long and you can always slide them back in the future if you want.

Of course, then they wouldn’t be lined up equally to the nose but I’d bet no one would ever know. They probably wouldn’t ever notice what you currently have either.

NewDog

Contributor
Loc.
Surrey BC
That's a good idea, thanks.
You're right, no one has ever told me they noticed it. It took me months before I saw it. Don't often look at both sides of the truck at the same time I guess.