• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fiberglass bedliner...

Outshine2

Loc.
Orange County, CA
Strange thing on my '75... It's got what I believe to be a fiberglass "bedliner" covering the entire interior. From the firewall over the tailgate and up the side of the bed it's all covered with this material and then painted with a sort of rubber coating over it. <br><br>When looking at the metal floor from underneath the vechicle it seems to be rusted out at the normal spots (both floor pans rusted through at the seams in spots, also right behind the passenger seat) but it's hard to tell because there's tons of undercoating covering the bottom.<br><br>My question is do you think it would be safe to install a 6 point cage in my Bronco the way it is? Should the fiberglass be sufficient for the cage? When you have a fiberglass tub do you have to take extra measures when installing a roll bar? <br><br>I would hate having to cut out the fiberglass to weld in new panels... especially the front pans since I pretty much have the ultimate bedliner right now... If it is advised to weld new metal under the fiberglass, would there be any way to do so without cutting the fiberglass sections out?<br><br>Whatcha think?

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
if thats just resin and chop thats rolled in there, and there is rust that you can see, then you can bet water can see it as well. I would not want to trust my noggin to a cage bolted to rusty tub that is just going to get worse. sorry, just my 2 cents.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Mount your cage to the floor with large foot pads and then mount large pads under the floor to sandwich the body and at least at the main hoop I would weld good stiff outrigers to the frame to the bottom of the bottom plate so the load is carried to the frame. At the very least the bar wont come crunching down on the driver and passenger. If you carry passengers and have a rear hoop I would do the same there.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
I think you would be ok as long as you tie the points of the cage to the frame. If you aren't going to then don't bother with the cage.