• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fiberglass or cardboard headliner

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
I can’t find enough threads that actually talk about the fiberglass headliner bronco hut makes. Does anyone have expiricence? And would you recommend? Is it easy to install? Or keep noise down? Or is the $100 cardboard replacement just fine?

KeithKinPhx

There are several threads on the fiberglass headliner.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270772&referrerid=54418

The main advantage is looks and ability to add lots more insulation. If you are trying to quiet down, control temps better or simply want a better look, it is the way to go. It is also strong enough to mount speakers.

It costs more and is not labor free.

The cardboard or new ABS ones are less expensive, easy to install and retain the classic Bronco look (and performance).

I am having a local upholstery shop make a vinyl one like Nicks Trix, so there is a third option. Sorry to muddy the waters. My big find was my front roof brace was bent and I have some repairs to do before I Lizardskin the interior. Search the forums for that if you have not pulled your existing roof. A common issue for almost all of the old hard tops.

Good luck.

pbwcr

Any reason why one cannot glue the material directly to the top. Something like heavy double stretch cloth?

Miker

Bronco Guru
Suede/Alacantera

I know it's not exactly what you were asking however,,
32 sq ft. of the thinner Dynamat (insane how it deadens the top as well as at least a bit of insulation). took a new cardboard headliner and 3M'd suede/Alacantera to it for this look. Most folks who see it say they like it. Maybe they don't want to hurt my feelings though....

Attachments

• IMG_5730.jpg
    IMG_5730.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_5847-2.jpg
    IMG_5847-2.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 143

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I use the Bronco Hut fiberglass headliners and like them. I tweak them for a tighter fit but they do not have to be. I also like that hey have panels to finish off the side. You can check mine out in my build, link in my sig. We use a sound deadner against the metal like dynamat then we glue 1/2" jute on top of that then we wrap the liner in leather or vinyl depending on the customer, and that is it. It is solid and silent. The added insulation helps greatly on cold or hot days. Well worth it in my books.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I know it's not exactly what you were asking however,,
32 sq ft. of the thinner Dynamat (insane how it deadens the top as well as at least a bit of insulation). took a new cardboard headliner and 3M'd suede/Alacantera to it for this look. Most folks who see it say they like it. Maybe they don't want to hurt my feelings though....

I like it, don't matter if I hurt your feeling or not;D