• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Finally put my hard top on!

tommyg

Contributor
So, after 2 1/2 years of ownership, I finally put it on (or I should say am still in the process of putting it on)...and it's been as much of a pain in the ass as I thought it would be...lol.

Started by taking out my rear speakers, then the inside quarter panels, then the custom liner where the hard top screws in, then the windshield wiper cover, then the bimini, then the bimini bracket...put the top on, then raised it up a bit to line up the side rubber...rocked the truck back and forth to finally get the front to line up with holes...so after probably 4 hours of work, I'm ALMOST done. No complaints though, easy work and kinda fun. Too bad the PO put in a custom sunroof :( , and it's far from perfect condition (like my truck)...but happy with the overall result and look. Now I'm ready for our frigid NorCal winter, it got down into the 60's yesterday! ;D

16axfyt.jpg

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Good looking Bronco! I live in the northeast and it is time to put top on again here too.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Looking good man, hope the winter isn't too bad :)

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Looks great. I just went through the same thing. I had installed the 4 point cage this summer. Installed panels with speakers before the cage. So go to install my top week before last...Oh, got to take out the panels, but since the cage is there I had to remove the speakers so the panels could be worked out from behind the cage. Then install top. Then panels, then speakers. Almost had screwed up where I had placed the back section of the cage. The lift gate supports almost didn't fit, but I got it.
Anyway, feel your pain. But I agree, worth the labor. I think I like it best with the top on. But is fun cruising with no top.

OP
OP
tommyg

tommyg

Contributor
It's almost comical the work involved! I just finished up today, I think I had around 6 total hours in on it. Some of my challenges were around the fact that the top hadn't been on in many years which made for some real fitment issues up front.

It's on now, and it aint coming off until late next spring!

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
The chrome trim on the windows just makes it pop. I can't wait to redo the seals on mine and put on the chrome trim.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Good Job! Looks really good but yeah it is a bit of a PITA to put them back on for some reason. Who knows! ;D

However, worth the effort when the temps start to go down because the soft top seals like crap. More voids letting the air into the cab than you can imagine! For me the heater is useless!