• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

First ride of the season... funky new sound

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
Well, finally dusted of the old girl and took her out of winter hibernation.

When i first strated her up, i could hear a high pitched constant sound (sounds like those big cicada bugs that make that noise on hot summer days). thought it may be a fuel pump pooping out but it is coming from the engine bay (both my pumps are on the frame). I thought bad bearing in the alternator, ps pump, or water pump but it sounds more like it is from the rear of the engine bay. If i rev the engine, it changes slightly (gets softer) As i drive, it changes pitch as i accelerate. Under slight load it gets softer and goes away. let off gas and it's back. I'm thinking air leak at the efi manifold someplace dropping with manifold vaccume?

I'll get some starter fluid and spray it about to see if it revs but wondered if anyone has any other thoughts?

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Critters get in the bellhousing? maybe something to do with the flywheel? my first season ride was yesterday too! mine was making noise form the speedo cable....sounded like a rod knock?

OP
OP
eds66bronco

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
Critters get in the bellhousing? maybe something to do with the flywheel? my first season ride was yesterday too! mine was making noise form the speedo cable....sounded like a rod knock?

Checked... I do love being able to crawl under there on my hands and knees to check stuff without a floor jack.. sound is definitely top end of the motor. although a mouse did eat a hole through my t-case shift boot:mad: :mad:

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
You may have a lifter going bad. This last spring I lost a liftter on #5 cylinder. About a weekend worth of work and $85 for all parts, gaskets, etc. How do your plugs look? Timing in check?
Have you tried a long handle flat-head screw driver against your temple and at different points on the engine?

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
eds66bronco wrote: I'm thinking air leak at the efi manifold someplace dropping with manifold vaccume?

I'm thinking you're on the right track.

X2 but I wouldn't use Starting fluid to check for it. Try carb cleaner or brake cleaner. Starting fluid is way too flammable and I wouldn't want to hear about you burning yourself or Bronc to the ground. My .02;D

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
eds66bronco wrote: I'm thinking air leak at the efi manifold someplace dropping with manifold vaccume?

X2 but I wouldn't use Starting fluid to check for it. Try carb cleaner or brake cleaner. Starting fluid is way too flammable and I wouldn't want to hear about you burning yourself or Bronc to the ground. My .02;D

We dont need another thread about fire.

OP
OP
eds66bronco

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
You may have a lifter going bad. This last spring I lost a liftter on #5 cylinder. About a weekend worth of work and $85 for all parts, gaskets, etc. How do your plugs look? Timing in check?
Have you tried a long handle flat-head screw driver against your temple and at different points on the engine?

timing was set last fall but i'll pull plugs this weekend and see if there is anything icky looking going on in the cylinders.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have found that if you turn up the radio those annoyingly strange noises get harder to hear...

OP
OP
eds66bronco

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
Well i finally got a chance to check for manifold leaks. I took my propane torch and gassed the manifold. The back side took a big gulp of propane and reved right up. Pulled the upper intake and both the upper and lower gaskets of the Pheololic spacer were so brittle they crumbled apart. Picked up a good set of felpro's to put in this weekend.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Let's get it goin! May coming fast and i expect to see in person ;D