• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

First time at Los Coyotes report (long)

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
I just got back, well a few hours ago, from my first trip to Los Coyotes. All I gotta say is HOLY SHIT!!! It was so fricking awesome out there!!! ;D<br>I know my bronco definately needs lower gears and a locker now. Although I was able to get through the trail with out any aid, I definately want a locker and lower gears. I dont know the name of the trail we went on but the people from the Geared for Fun 4X4 club that we went out with, said it is normally a trail for front and rear locked rigs. My bronco made it through with some extra effort of the throttle pedal fairly easy.<br>The only breakage was on my brothers Full Size F-100, yes he has the scratches to prove it went through. His hubs cracked and made an awfull clicking sound but we got him back to camp with the help of a couple of low geared jeeps and winches.<br>My arms are sore from the strong-man or rockram steering (manual), and my 351C actually ran kinda hot, 210 as opposed to my usuall 170, but all is good. My holley 650 double pumper 4150 mech sec carb actually did good on all the offcamber and up/down hill slopes, it only died a few times when i was going real slow on steep down hill slopes, but it started right back up. My brothers carb, same carb just a 750, stalled and died on him a lot for some reason and it was kinda hard to start on steep inclines or declines. Oh well we both had fun! ;D<br>I have already checked out prices for 4.56 gears and lockers ;D ;D ;D<br>I looked at El Hill and WOW!!!! that is amazing that some people can crawl up that thing.<br>I cant wait to go back with lockers and gears, but power steering will be a very good thing to have too.<br><br>Also if any of you from So-Cal heard about the fire out there, let me fill you in on the details.<br>My buddies came out to meet us there but we were already out deep in the trail. They brought out their desert toy, a subaru wagon 4x4. They were headed up Rough Road, when they got stuck and climbed out to see how bad they were stuck, well for some reason the gas tank caught on fire and they took off running down the hill. Not fourty feet later, the gas tank blew and blew up the car. They got the fire dept out and everything, had the planes dropping retardent and choppers too. Only about 10 acres were lost, and the cdf said it was just an accident so its all good. A giant dozer leveled the trail so its not Rough Road anymore, sorry.<br>I cruised the bronco up with a trailer and towed the subaru down the next day, it was totally wasted. Bummer it was a cool little desert toy. But at least no one was hurt.<br>After all is done, I loved los coyotes. It was a great change from ocotiilo wells but it was awesome. I cant wait to go back with my bronco a bit more prepared.<br> ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jeep Slayer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wildomar California
Sounds like you had fun, did your friends car catch fire sunday? I went through Warner Springs twice yesterday and never saw any smoke, I did see the CDF guy's siting by their choper just off the road.

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
my seat still has clinch marks from "EL HILL" :eek: glad to hear no one was injured in the explosion.

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Did they say anything about keeping it open? The last few years they have been telling everyone they are going to close it to off roaders. Maybe they like the $

OP
OP
Desert Thrasher

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
My friends car caught on fire on saturday afternoon, it was put out by that night I believe. Just a small fire.<br>I didnt learn anything new about them closing it down, but there is always talk of it. I hope it stays open cuz I wanna go back again and again. It was great out there. I think I'm gonna call 4wheelparts soon ;D ;D ;D

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
Hey, I told you it was great!<br><br>Yeah, I miss that place- too bad I am stuck on the east coast for now. I did get a day trip in out there in June before leaving, but was solo so didn't want to get too far out without a backup vehicle (maiden voyage for the 'new' 72).<br> I heard there was a huge fire a month ago or so out on the res- is that true?

OP
OP
Desert Thrasher

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
Yes there was a huge fire a few months ago, it burned a large portion of it. But it was mostly in ranchita and julian and places near there. Los Coyotes was shut down for awhile cuz of it.

G

the socalbroncos brothers are planning a run for oct.19th.all (with broncos) are welcome. ;D