• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fishing trip cut short(bronco still got me home) Update pics added

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Broke something in the rear end on my 73 this afternoon on my way to go fishing. While I was on a rough trail its was that bad. I was only in 2wd I was going up a rough hill and stalled the engine restarted it and let out the clutch I didnt hear a snap pop or anything until it started moving it sounded like I had broken a rear spring or something.
Pulled the rear driveshaft to try and minimize any more damage and limped about 16 miles or so back home.
At first I though it was axle shaft but I've ruled that out for the most part. I think its either a spider gear, side gear or very badly broken trac loc case It has a currie billet steel clutch cover so I dont think its that.. Worst case the pinion or ring gear is stripped. I guess i have a project for tomorrow. Either way I have a spare 3rd member so it wont be down long. I'll update once I view the carnage.

Last edited:

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Glad your bronco limped back home.
Our fishing trip ended a little different...:cool:

72Quarterhorse

Sounds like you made some good decisions'turning around and babying it back home. Glad you made it home.

ogr

Loc.
Vail
Fishing Trip

Nice to be able to use either end for propulsion. Where were you gonna fish? I fished Riggs and Cluff ponds years ago, but isn't San Carlos just up the road?

OP
OP
B

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Fishing trip cut short(bronco still got me home) update pics

I was real close to cluffs ponds. I was going up to ash creek to fish for some brookies. Yes san carlos is right up the road. I havent been in a couple of years since the water level was down to about to 12 percent or less but we were catching a lot of catfish during that time now the lake is back up fairly well but everyone is going to Roosevelt. I have to start hitting the gila river too as the cats are hitting there someone caught a 25 LBer last week.

Anyhow replaced the pumkin today I split the trac loc carrier in two. Maybe a spider gear broke then wedge in the other gears and split the case not real sure yet as I havent cleaned up the pumpkin the case is destroyed it totally broke one bearing cap and the other is cracked. The pinion and ring gear appear to be fine but I havent looked at them real close yet. I'll post some carnage pics as soon as my status updates I left it run out a couple of weeks ago.

Attachments

• broke.jpg
    broke.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 64
  • broke 1.jpg
    broke 1.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 39
  • broke 2.jpg
    broke 2.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited: