• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

flat or glossy paint? opinions wanted

kboehm73

Loc.
College Station
Almost finished with my build. Unfortunately am going to have to sell this one due to student loans and a recent job loss. Money is a little tight, but I need to finish so I can cover bills for a few months. Im getting ready to paint and am going to do it myself. The truck is going to have a white soft top, white fender flares and a white inner grille. The rest of the truck is what im unsure about. Should I go flat or glossy? Probably gonna go some type of green color. Unfortunately I have to think of this as an investment. Any thoughts??

Thanks guys

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Sorry to hear you have to sell your I know it a hard thing to do but I am a full time student and not working so I know money gets tight. As far as painting I would have to say go gloss if you have to sell some people look at flat paint as not being finished. I have done a couple of flat paint jobs on cars I had to sell and the number one question I got was "so what kind of primer is this?" I would tell them it was a flat clear but they just could not under stand why some one would do this. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

OP
OP
K

kboehm73

Loc.
College Station
Yeah that's what I was worried about. Most people just don't seem to like the flat look. I did like that pic with the stripe though. Probably just gonna go glossy. Id be pretty disappointed to loose a bunch of money after all the work I've done.

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Sorry to hear you have to sell your I know it a hard thing to do but I am a full time student and not working so I know money gets tight. As far as painting I would have to say go gloss if you have to sell some people look at flat paint as not being finished. I have done a couple of flat paint jobs on cars I had to sell and the number one question I got was "so what kind of primer is this?" I would tell them it was a flat clear but they just could not under stand why some one would do this. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

X2, for resale value, Glossy is the way to go. The straighter, the shinier the better

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
You might consider just priming it and then putting it up for sale to test the waters. It will look decent because it will all be one color, and the buyer gets to decide what color they want to paint it. Then if it doesn't sell right away you can always carry on with your plan and paint it.

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
You might consider just priming it and then putting it up for sale to test the waters. It will look decent because it will all be one color, and the buyer gets to decide what color they want to paint it. Then if it doesn't sell right away you can always carry on with your plan and paint it.

x2 this is something i would do as well because it would give the buyer the option to choose a color he really likes and at the same time you can save yourself money.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
My experience is you'll get a lot more for it with a decent glossy paint job! I sold a 66 on eBay about a year ago and got about $2000 more than I expected - and more than I thought it was worth. He "liked the paint" is what he told me. If you are investing to get a return, put a decent and shiney paint job on it! Giving the buyer the opportunity to paint it the color he/she wants is great for the buyer, but you'll net less for the Bronco.

This is the '66 I sold.

Attachments

• DSC00226.jpg
    DSC00226.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00227.jpg
    DSC00227.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 32

kaw550

Bronco Guru
I vote for gloss.
Does the term "resale red" apply to Broncos? The right color may increase the value.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
Gloss will probably sell faster. myself, I'd rather have a matte finish, or better yet, Rhinolined!

my79f

I would go with a good neutral gloss color. I would say the majority of the people that are going to be looking at your bronco, are going to be people that want to street drive it. Thinking in terms of that, most of that group is going to buy a bronco that they can turn the key on and dont have to do any work. Sure being able to pick your own color would be great, but people dont want to pickup the BKO and worry about taking it to a painter just to have it sit for at least another month.

Have you ever painted a vehicle yourself? Maybe you can offer it for a price, and included in that price is the paint color of the buyers choice. You might actually get more looks with this, because the person is going to know exactly what they are getting for the price, and get the color they want. If the vehicle is already ready for paint, it would only take a short time to paint it, then put it back together for the buyer. If the buyer payed before the paint job, then it would be more of a business deal than personal, and put you on the spot to get it done in a short time(a week or two, assuming its ready for paint).