• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

floor panels

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I am hopefully going to start replacing a few floor panels over the weekend and I going to use the ones from Jeffs bronco graveyard. Does anyone know what they treat there panels with? I would hate to inhale a bunch of junk and get sick or worse :-[

thanks Ben

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
Best thing would be to call or email them. I have had several questions on different products and emailed them. They got back to me fairly quick.

Good thinking by the way as a lot of people don't think of coatings and such when welding (like copper being toxic).

Cheers
Martin

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I dont think they treat them at all. Mine just had a light coat of oil. I put a little metal prep on them and all was good.
Have fun with that project.

bax

Last edited:

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
There's some kind of coating on them, it's like a dull grey that comes off when wire wheeled.
Gosh Ben, you're making me worried that I'm going to get brain cancer or my IQ dropped a few points while replacing my pans. :p

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Mark, not worried about brain cancer but I do worry a little about my lungs, I have a enough trouble breathing from allergies. I wondered if they had been galvanized which ain't to great on the lungs or the brain for that matter. I guess I will give them a shout tomorrow and report back.

Ben

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine are from Jeff's and they look like they have a grayish coating of sorts. I still grind them only in the spots where I am welding. Works great.

Blue71

Hawkdoc

Got my pans from them and did't have a headache.... Laid in well and the floorS looks good to me. Biased? Nope!

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
BTW, If I know I'm going to be welding near an area where there is paint, rubber, or anything the weld might burn, I have a box fan turned on to disperse the fumes.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Hawkdoc that is good news, I like to hear they are going to fit well considering alot of them don't. Blue 71 I like the idea of just grinding where you are going to weld! Duh, don't know why I didn't think of that?

Ben

Frankenhorse

Loc.
Smyrna,TN
I got mine in from them a day or so ago. Tunnel cover fit great. The passenger floor pan was a little short width wise. It was not bad I could adjust to fit. I would just had rather it been to wide instead. So I say thumbs up.

mikev3704

Im just starting to tear my floor out too.. Some one bondoed the rust up and sprayed a bedliner material on the floors... its a pain.. Some of the panels had been changed before but they left some of the original panels, and put the new panels over the old ones... Its slow, but theyre coming out..

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
You're right to be concerned. They are coated with zinc. There are issues with welding that have been addressed but down the road when it's time to paint, do remember the zinc when choosing your primer. I've seen zinc blow paint off rather quickly.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Doesnt really matter what they are coated with any welding, grinding, sanding Ect. on steel releases hazardous fumes/dust wether its caduim or welding fumes or zinc fumes. You dont want to breathe in any of it.

z70what

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Johnson City
it won't hurt you.. i ordered floor pans, inner rockers, kick panels, and front fender aprons for BOTH sides and have welded, cut, grinded, etc on them for over 10hrs worth of labor for both sides.. and had NO problems what-so-ever.. so i'm sure you'll be fine... first hand experience here..

Luke

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
z70what, thanks first hand experience but I was thinking along of the lines of when I 60 years old. Frankly I too have put in alot of time on my bronco grinding and welding and breathing a lot of stuff I probably shouldn't have and feel fine at the moment.

Ben