• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford 200 6 cylinder and Holley 1946 carburetor

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just finished working on a 200 6 cyl with a Holley 1946 carb out of a 1979 Faimont and I must say this setup seems to work very well in the EB. Has all the grunt of another 302 I have, of course this 66 is stripped of weight.

The 200 was full of smog stuff that was easy to defeat, yet still had "newer" six design for parts.

EGR plate is required unless you fab up a mounting bracket for carb, I just hacked off the EGR diaphram and JB welded the hole shut, stopped all leaks. Rebuild was easy and I bought the manual for a 1946 just to be sure, easy peesy, lemon squeezy rebuild. Adjustment was just as easy, electric choke hotwired to alt hot, then make sure dizzy hooked to metered air.

Idle mixure was all in then out about 1.5 turns then final set using rpm/vacuum plus 1/4 turn for luck. I notice no dashpot for throttle return, I may want one of those later.

On this carb the hot air inlet by the choke assembly was plugged, I may add that as the hot air bypass aids hot idle (sorta like how EGR helps cruise gas mileage).

Base advance set at 6 degree's like old 6 cyl 170, idles like a kitten purring.

Only issue to work is throttle cable/bracket, since I hacked the egr plate, throttle cable bracket lost one of two attchment points... Still cogitating a fix.

Engine runs at 190 deg at water thermostat exit and 140 water temp inbound to motor, gage shows pegged when warm so that needs looking into, I think sender is off 79 Fairmont.

On an unrelated note, anyone have ideas to chase a "squeel" during cruise above 1500 rpm, sounds like somewhere from tranny area, noise stops when clutch let out and is not there at slow speed. Sounds like a slipping belt but not there when rpms hi with clutch out, Don't think it's a wheel bearing.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd say throwout bearing. Might need to adjust the linkage a little so the bearing is not contacting the pressure plate fingers all the time.

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'll give that a shot, thanks, other search came up with driveshaft ujoint. Clutch chatters a little right now but I'm going to teach two boys how to drive a manual before i fix that:)

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is that the 200 six you could bolt a C-4 auto tranny to. I've always wanted to do a six cyl auto tranny bronco.
frenchy

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Just finished working on a 200 6 cyl with a Holley 1946 carb out of a 1979 Faimont and I must say this setup seems to work very well in the EB. Has all the grunt of another 302 I have, of course this 66 is stripped of weight.

The 200 was full of smog stuff that was easy to defeat, yet still had "newer" six design for parts.

EGR plate is required unless you fab up a mounting bracket for carb, I just hacked off the EGR diaphram and JB welded the hole shut, stopped all leaks. Rebuild was easy and I bought the manual for a 1946 just to be sure, easy peesy, lemon squeezy rebuild. Adjustment was just as easy, electric choke hotwired to alt hot, then make sure dizzy hooked to metered air.

Idle mixure was all in then out about 1.5 turns then final set using rpm/vacuum plus 1/4 turn for luck. I notice no dashpot for throttle return, I may want one of those later.

On this carb the hot air inlet by the choke assembly was plugged, I may add that as the hot air bypass aids hot idle (sorta like how EGR helps cruise gas mileage).

Base advance set at 6 degree's like old 6 cyl 170, idles like a kitten purring.

Only issue to work is throttle cable/bracket, since I hacked the egr plate, throttle cable bracket lost one of two attchment points... Still cogitating a fix.

Engine runs at 190 deg at water thermostat exit and 140 water temp inbound to motor, gage shows pegged when warm so that needs looking into, I think sender is off 79 Fairmont.

On an unrelated note, anyone have ideas to chase a "squeel" during cruise above 1500 rpm, sounds like somewhere from tranny area, noise stops when clutch let out and is not there at slow speed. Sounds like a slipping belt but not there when rpms hi with clutch out, Don't think it's a wheel bearing.

That fairmont sending unit is probably for an idiot light not a gauge. I used an 81 fairmont head and sending unit with the same results. Swapped in a Bronco sender and al was well.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Is that the 200 six you could bolt a C-4 auto tranny to. I've always wanted to do a six cyl auto tranny bronco.
frenchy

I have been running my 200 C4 combo for several months now. Its really pretty enjoyable to drive around town. Not a power house but pretty fun,

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have been running my 200 C4 combo for several months now. Its really pretty enjoyable to drive around town. Not a power house but pretty fun,

Cool, did you have to relocate the transfer cross member?
send me some pics of the engine compartment and the whole bronco if you could to
mfrenchy1@gmail.com.
Thanks
frenchy