• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

found a good use for old windshields

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
thought i'd share a good home grown how to:
i have a good size stack of used bronco glass. some of it is really good, some is scratched, chipped or delaminating from age... being i'm not one to waste anything i took a cracked windshield from a build and cut it into panels for my blast cabinet. the blast supplier gets about 20 bucks for a tempered piece. i got 2 useable panels out of the old windshield.
to cut laminated glass, you use your glass cutter(got mine from lowes). lube the wheel, roll it on your outline of the cut. turn the panel over and repeat the process. take the panel to your bench, holding the cut line just over the edge. snap it in both directions, use a razor knife to cut the laminate film.
if concerened about the edges, use a hand disc sander on them. higher the grit, smoother the finish. i knocked the rough edges off with some 60 grit on a 3" angle grinder. **don't forget your safety glasses**
viola~ clear viewing again in the blaster.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
That's awesome, Nick. So does the viewing glass have a city sticker in the corner now? ;)

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I got to get me a blast cabinet and try that!

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
That's a great idea, I just happen to have a cracked windshield behind the shop.;D

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Good tip Nick.
I have also seen guys put lighter fluid on the crack, light it then pull the pieces apart when the laminate melts.
i use plastic film on the inside of my blasting cabinet glass with peal and stick tape around the sides. They are cheap and you just replace them when they get messed up.
I got them from the company i got the blaster from but i am sure you could make them with stuff from youl local craft supply shop.
its like overhead projector film.

OP
OP
NicksTrix

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
john john, the shop that does my window tinting also does race car windshield tear offs. he's offered to do them for me but by that time the conversation comes around the glass is pitted enough i haven't worried about it.
it's a great way to stretch your useage for sure.