• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Found hydro-boost? What should I get? **GOT IT**

Frankenhorse

Loc.
Smyrna,TN
I found a hydro set up at the u-pick yard. No tools when I was there.:( What should I get from it. It is in a 80 something Caddy. Every thing is there but the pump looks shot. How hard is it to get out. Take the dash off, sawsall it out or is it easyer then that? Was not going to get anything for awhile do to fixing the house to sell but looks like the are flying out of the yards these days. thanks for any help.( don't have the time to search everything before I go) Also would I need the offset bracket If I am planning on a 351w in the future?

Last edited:

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
GM Hydroboost

Grab it!!

As this is the Caddy unit from the right time period you want
The unit will have the inverted flare connection instead of the bubble BS
It Should be slightly offset already. If memory serves, it should be offset 6 degrees toward the fender.
Unbolt if you can, cut if you have to.
Dont worry about the lines cut them
Grab the PS pump, even pooched the can will be dual return and you can always put that can of a good pump if you have to. Rebuild kits aren't expensive for pumps so grab it
Grab the thing, I am working on a new install with the 351 and so far I have 3 inches of clearance to the valve covers of the 351. Article to follow if it works.

TOFIC

OP
OP
Frankenhorse

Frankenhorse

Loc.
Smyrna,TN
Sence it will be some time now before I get to try it out I got it anyhow. $68.04 Not bad thats pump and booster. I do have time to clean it up(way dirty).This is disc/drum so I believe I need a different master for disc/disc.

Attachments

• DSC00822 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00822 (Medium).JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 87

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Great score!!
Hydroboost, master cylinder and Power steering pump with brackets.
Man that is doing the scottish dance big time.
Looks like a Gen 2 unit. Does it have the new brake line connections or the old fashion inverted flare type.
What year out of??
Great score though down to the car wash with some quarters and give her a real bath.
Send some more pics, especially of the mounting plate area. I would love to see that.
TOFIC

ransil

Bronco Guru
What is the differsnce in the gen 1 & gen 2 units??

What year are the gen 2 units found in?

Does it make a differance if it is GM or a Ford unit?

I went junkin yesterday , I found a unit on a '84 Ford station wagon I had it about half way off, yard was closing and I didn't have a deep 9/16 socket.

OP
OP
Frankenhorse

Frankenhorse

Loc.
Smyrna,TN
The sign on the window said 82' but the door told me 78' ?:? . Here are some pics should answer your questions. Need another pic just tell me where. I looked around the yard it is the only system there, glad I got it. ;D

Attachments

• DSC00825 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00825 (Medium).JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC00824 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00824 (Medium).JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC00823 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00823 (Medium).JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 28

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Frankenhorse:
Does not matter the year of the car, it is a gen1 unit. looks good and ready to do its thing. Is that dirty brake fluid I see in that one port or is it rust. Better get it cleaned up and throw it into some power steering fluid. A little thinking and fabrication should get yours mounted up and working easy. GO FOR IT

Ransil
Gen 1 are the first units. As with all new things some things did not work quite right. So in about 1985 they modified the units and these are known as GEN 2 units. Not much difference most is internal, so best guidline is the year of the car you get it from. Best bet if it is 1990 or newer it is GEN 2. Difference between GM and Ford units? not really, the mounting method is the main difference the GM takes more work to get onto the Bronco. You found a 84 Ford station wagon unit?? WHERE?? I will be right out there with 2 of those sockets to get it. This is the one. This is the unit I use and is documented in the article. Go get it quick before some a*****e like me gets it before you.

TOFIC

ransil

Bronco Guru
I also found 2 other units in the yard, 1 from late 70's Lincoln and the other from a late '90 or 2000 something Lincoln, had a 3.8 motor & large plastic reservoir , I think the ABS unit was attached, is this unit worth getting ?? It look kinka big compared to the others.

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
ransil said:
I also found 2 other units in the yard, 1 from late 70's Lincoln and the other from a late '90 or 2000 something Lincoln, had a 3.8 motor & large plastic reservoir , I think the ABS unit was attached, is this unit worth getting ?? It look kinka big compared to the others.

Grab the 70 version, highly useable.

Never seen one of the "plastic ones", can you get a picture or two. I do not believe they ever made a hydroboost unit other than in steel.

TOFIC

OP
OP
Frankenhorse

Frankenhorse

Loc.
Smyrna,TN
I seen one with the plastic res also,but didn't look to close. I thought it was just a vaccuum assist pump. Lots of electronics around it.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Frankenhorse said:
I seen one with the plastic res also,but didn't look to close. I thought it was just a vaccuum assist pump. Lots of electronics around it.

Yeah, stay away from those things and stay with the stuff we know! I've looked at them a few times and that whole setup with the plastic reservoir, etc. looks Frankensteined to me.

Todd Z.