• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Found my source of rattle! + leaf spring clip questions

Raven Tooth

Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Well, the loudest rattle. It's these leaf spring clips, which aren't very tight. I have no experience with leaf springs and don't even really understand what these clips are supposed to do. I tried tightening them up by hitting them with a hammer/ prying with a screw driver, but they are still rattling a bit.

How much are these needed? If I got new ones would they maybe be tighter?

How about these: http://performanceparts.com/part/Mr-Gasket/1293

Looks like I could tighten these right up but I'm not sure if they're meant to do the same thing.

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Do you have pics of your current leaf springs? I am pretty sure the clips are for alignment of the individual leaves?

Mark in Memphis

Leaf springs need to slide past each other when the spring bends. If you clamp your springs together tightly they won't slide past each other as easily and will be much stiffer. For example, if you clamp two leafs together they will be 4 times stiffer than if they can slide past. If you clamp three leafs together they will be 9 times stiffer than if the can slide past. The advertisement you posted doesn't say that specifically, but that's what reduces axle wrap.

OP
OP
Raven Tooth

Raven Tooth

Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
431216_10150585883285988_649500987_9367790_895680953_n.jpg

Here's a small pic but hopefully you get the idea. If I replaced these with new ones would they rattle around less you think?

Bundy

Bronco Guru
I didn't think they could rattle but those springs look worn out. I think what you are looking for is leaf spring keepers and but I'm under the impression they just keep the leaves from fanning out during articulation. I've also seen rubber pads inbetween leafs, maybe to prevent chatter?

If you have a chatter have you checked your u bolts to make sure those are tight?

Here are Wild Horse Leaf springs which are a good diagram if anything

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bronco_Leaf_Springs

Bundy

Bronco Guru
hard to tell from your pic bud. Are they flat? If they ride well then I would say no but if they are flat and rattling they might be.

jon_eds

Loc.
forest
i was having same trouble, took mine off, straightened them out, take a c-clamp and squeezed leafs together, and reinstalled them. i used vice grips to bend over the tabs and a hammer to finish bending them over. when u remove the c-clamp after installing there will be enough slack between the spring keepers to allow the leafs to flex without binding. you may not even need the c-clamp if there is no gap between the leafs. right or wrong dont really know, but worked for me.