• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Found possible 351 donor

rbodine

I found a 90 bronco with 115,000 supposed miles, eddie bauer edition with a 351. Seller states runs good, but rusty. asking 750obo...
Would this a a good donor vehicle for my 351 swap. It appears from the pics to be all original, street tires, under the hood, etc. I am going to go look at it tues night.
Would anything else be of use to me or will I just be stuck with a big eye sore shell in the back yard.
Thanks for the help,
Robert

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good source for the engine..and not much else for an EB. But you will get the complete harness and all sensors and whatnot that are external and you can pull it all at your leisure. Then when yr all done ... call the scrapper to come get it..around here what you would have left over will still bring at least 200 bucks for scrap.

OP
OP
rbodine

rbodine

I was not thinking of making it an efi bronco, can I put another intake on that motor and make it a simple carb motor?

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Unless your plan is just to drop it as is I'd hold out for a better deal. I picked mine up for $350 and didn't have to worry about scrapping an entire vehicle when I was done. You can put a carb intake on it and go that way if you want to. Where are you located?

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
You'll also have to swap out the timing cover to run a mechanical fuel pump, or run an electric fuel pump for a carb. There will also likely not be a boss for the clutch linkage if you have a manual, there is a kit to run mechanical linkage though.

Offer the guy $600 cash, then take the engine and trans out, with all the efi stuff, then sell the rest to the junk yard for $2-300, not bad to be able to pull parts in your own driveway and not lay in greasy junk yard mud.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was not thinking of making it an efi bronco, can I put another intake on that motor and make it a simple carb motor?

of course..but I assumed that you would only want the EFI option. As others have noted, if you do not want EFI, then the value of that truck to you just went down a good deal...

OP
OP
rbodine

rbodine

I think thru reading other posts, that this is the desirable year for EFI swap if I remember correctly..

Nightstick

Bronco guy
A '90 FSB was a speed density EFI system not mass air. Speed density is fine, but not the better of the two. The intake on the truck 5.8L motors (except lightning) is also very tall and would require either a substantial body lift, hood scoop, or both. Most guys choose to run a mustang/explorer mass air setup because the parts fit better, are fairly easy to find, and has a better fuel management system. You can have hours of reading enjoyment at fordfuelinjection.com, or look here for a simpler explanation.