• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

frame bent?

johnnybgood74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
boise, idaho
ok, i pulled the old 351 out so i can detail the engine compartment and get ready to install the new 302. while detailing, i was looking from the very front of the frame horns where the front bumper attaches and it looks like my frame has a gradual bend to the driver side. are the frame rails excactly paralell? ive never driven it since i have owned it. does anyone have a straight on pic or get a straight on pic of their frame? im gonna be f*#&in pissed if its bent!!!!:mad:

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
These aren't precision built machines. Mine is off and I know it's never been in an accident or abused. It was an old man truck before I got to it. Even if it's bent it can be straightened out, I'm just not sure how. A body shop could fix you up for sure.

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
If it is bent --------- You've been "Framed"

sorry, pretty cheesy but I had to do that !

Hope you can get things "Straightened" out

Ok -- I'll stop now

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Bronco frame rails are the same on both sides. The only thing that makes them rights or lefts are when the factory welded or riveted the other frame parts to them.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
The best way to check if a frame is straight is to put tram guages on it. Bodyshops have them and should not charge an arm and a leg to check it. They are guages that hang in the front, middle, and back end of the frame and you look at them and they should line up. You can try to check yourself by using the diagram that 70 Steve posted. The frame should measure the same in an "X" pattern. You will need to use a plumb bob to transfer the frame points onto the floor to measure.
If it is bent the only way to straighten it is a frame machine.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
A frame with a slight away as you describe is no big deal to straighten. I would just take it to a good frame shop and let them check it. If it does have a slight sway they can fix it on the spot. I know because that is what I did with the Chariot way back in nineteen hundred and seventy-nine.