• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Frame Rust Repair

Jangel

I decide to finally remove the factory rear shock mounts since I inboarded my rear shocks years ago. Well after removing the brackets I’m greeted with this hole rusted through the side of the frame rail? How should I fix this? Should I cut out the rusted metal weld in a repair and then plate it? TIA

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I just did this too. Due to time constraints I just sanded and painted what was there. I plan on welding in a patch down the road. I don't think plating would be needed if you have a good butt weld.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
If it were me I'd plate the damaged area probably 6 inches before and after the rust hole. You'll definitely want to assess the condition of the frame material you'll be welding to though - if you've got a rust hole, chances are there's thin/weak material surrounding it too.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
in my case it isn't a rusted out frame, it is just from where the shock mount trapped crap in that one area. Mine is about a 1.5 dia hole on thwe outside of each rail.

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
Just what was ford thinking when they designed that bracket??? Must have been the same brainfart that thought it was a good idea to overlap the sheetmetal on the fender apron...

I just fixed mine this weekend. Cut back to fresh solid metal. I usually will take a piece of paper and rub my finger (usually greasy from working on the bronco) around the edge of the cutout to make a template for the filler plate. Try and get a good tight fit with the filler piece. Now bevel the edges of both the cutout and the filler piece so you get a deep "V" for full weld penetration. Place a welding magnet over the cutout to keep it flush with the frame and tack in place. Work your way around in small sections and grind smooth... Get one of those flap disk sanders for an angle grinder. You will be glad you did...

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jangel

Thanks for the replies. I'll be doing some exploratory cutting to see how big of a patch I need. I'm not to worried about strength since the other side is fine as well as the top and bottom. So I figure cutting this out and getting a nice patch and burning it in good should be fine. I'd also like to 2nd the WTF was Ford thinking when they designed the brackets?