• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Free 302 or Buy a 351

CrazyHorse

Loc.
Clovis,Ca
Got an 88 mustang complete car from a buddy, It has 90000 original miles is totaled but the motor is sound. I will be using the AOD from it with a dual t-case setup. What are My BROTHERS suggestions for installing the efi 302 or opt for buying a new crate, or used 351w. Ive been dragging myself through the mud trying to decide for the past year and a half. So frustrated. I may be able to get a 351w for free when my buddy tows one in( he owns a towing co). but he doesnt have one now. Is it worth the wait and the trouble to find the FORD efi stuff to make it work(I dont want a carb), And wait for the motor or just blast through my wallet and buy a crate, then find the efi stuff to make it work? Need torque and only want to do this once. Is there THAT BIG of a difference in performance for my soon to be hardcore trail rig?

jate

Loc.
Salt Lake City
Depends on how you use your Bronco, but I have owned two and both I have switched from the 302 to the 351w. I think the 351w is the perfect motor for the Bronco and I personally would wait to get the 351w. The one I have right now I am in the process of stroking it to a 393.

Good luck.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) If you like to play hard then I would say wate it will be worth it. The 351W just has way more power and torque good luck with your choice. %) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

yak67

Bronco Guru
You can't beat free, you could build a pretty hot 302, I'd go with the free 302 and put your money into performance mods...my 2 cents ;D

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a '71 with the 351W, ZF5 and doubler. It's a killer rig on the street and on the trail and I wouldn't trade back to the 302. However, one of my friends has a '66 with a 250 L6, NP435 and doubler. It's respectable around town and a killer rig on the trail.

If your focus is mostly off road I would say it just won't matter with a doubler installed. With the rig in dual low range I am not sure you will be able to tell the difference between the 351 and the 302. If you like to play on the street too the efi 351w will be noticably different than the efi 302 (assuming basically stock builds) There are lots of 302 goodies out there, so you can build one hot 302.

It all comes down to what you do with your Bronco.

Hazegray

I'd say to sell the 302 to me & with the money, get your 351 EFI setup! :D

Either way, you have to factor in the money spent on doing the basic conversion (i.e., fuel pump(s)/lines, possible new tank, etc), not just the motor/EFI parts. You could start buying the basic stuff now, then later on decide what motor to use.

MikeM

Loc.
No Cal
you want a hardcore trail rig and only want to work on it once ?:?
Year and a half to decide ?:?
Come on, get that thing going and slap that 5.0 in there.
R&R a motor only takes a few hours. Doing a half sano efi conversion for the first time takes days. By putting in the 5.0 you will have done most of the work (and education) needed to have a 351 efi. Yes you will have "wasted" some time and cash but at least you will have a running rig and will know what you want to do different. You will also have the luxury of time to find a deal on the 351 parts.