• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front Axle Hard Brake Lines

tobyw

The 31 year old factory caliper flex lines on my front axle were shot (surprise surprise ;D ), so I did a little searching and found a good deal on a 4-piece kit from WCB on stainless steel flex lines: front and rear center drops and the two front axle flex lines at the caliper. PERFECT! Well, I went to put them on and found out that the female threads on the new lines are smaller than factory, so I'm going to have to run new hard lines along the axle. No biggie, just one more thing %) Anyhow, in my haste, I forgot to measure the existing hard lines so I can buy some new ones on the way home tonight... Any chance someone knows or could measure how long each side needs to be for me? Thanks in advance!!

bludorbronc

Is it possible to buy adapters for the size differance?Or did you call WCB and ask what gives?

OP
OP
tobyw

tobyw

Got a message in with them right now...

Not sure about the adapters? I would guess something is available out there?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The '76-'77 EB's use a 7/16-24 female inverted flare if I'm not mistaken and I'm assuming the hoses you got were 3/8-24 FIF. An alternative to replacing the hardlines would be to just cut and reflare the ends with the proper tube nuts...but that's easy for me to say since I'm not the one doing it. Given the age of the hard lines, it's probably best to replace them.

I used a ~24" length of hard line on the passengers side and ~10" on the drivers side, but I had to flip the anchor brackets for the flex lines so that they'd clear the CAGE radius arms, so it may not correlate well with what you have. Sorry I could be more helpful.

Tobin

OP
OP
tobyw

tobyw

Given the age of the hard lines, it's probably best to replace them.

Kind of my thoughts as well, so I'm not too upset about it after all... Thanks for the info on lengths as well. I'll wait and see if anyone else chimes in, but that gives me a place to start. It'd be easy enough to buy a couple lengths in that range and just return what I don't use. Or keep it for the next project %) ;D