• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front axle with power-lok help

289junkie

I'm in a pickle. And hope someone can give me an answer or direction.

I attempted to reassembly my front axle this afternoon. I have a 77 Dana 44 front with factory bronco disc brakes. I acquired a Power-Lok from a Jeep and switched the 19 spline to 30 using an internals kit (side gears, cross shaft, etc.). Soaked and installed new clutches as well as installed the new 4.10 gear set. Dropped everything in and reassembled the driver side without problems. Axle shaft, brakes and hub, all installed without issue.

But when I went to install the passenger side, the axle shaft is lacking approx 1/4" from being fully inserted. It feels like I"m hitting something. At first I assumed maybe a clutch spline interference. I chasing that rabbit for a bit, and didn't get any where. I decided to put from white grease on the end of the axle shaft and insert it to see if I can see what it is hitting.

After sliding the axle in, I can see white grease on the axle spacer pin located on the cross shafts. It's like the axleshaft is bit to long for use with a Power-Lok setup. Could that be the case?

Did I flip/mess something up when I rebuilt the Power-Lok? Do I need a shorter axle? Do I need the spacer pin?

I'm going to reevaluate in the daylight. I'm going to tear down the driver side and attempt to assemble the passenger side first. Why? I have no idea. I'm shooting in the dark here.

I'm afraid I'm going to open her back up. Any words of wisdom that may help me avoid taking 4 step back?

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I'm in a pickle. And hope someone can give me an answer or direction.

I attempted to reassembly my front axle this afternoon. I have a 77 Dana 44 front with factory bronco disc brakes. I acquired a Power-Lok from a Jeep and switched the 19 spline to 30 using an internals kit (side gears, cross shaft, etc.). Soaked and installed new clutches as well as installed the new 4.10 gear set. Dropped everything in and reassembled the driver side without problems. Axle shaft, brakes and hub, all installed without issue.

But when I went to install the passenger side, the axle shaft is lacking approx 1/4" from being fully inserted. It feels like I"m hitting something. At first I assumed maybe a clutch spline interference. I chasing that rabbit for a bit, and didn't get any where. I decided to put from white grease on the end of the axle shaft and insert it to see if I can see what it is hitting.

After sliding the axle in, I can see white grease on the axle spacer pin located on the cross shafts. It's like the axleshaft is bit to long for use with a Power-Lok setup. Could that be the case?

Did I flip/mess something up when I rebuilt the Power-Lok? Do I need a shorter axle? Do I need the spacer pin?

I'm going to reevaluate in the daylight. I'm going to tear down the driver side and attempt to assemble the passenger side first. Why? I have no idea. I'm shooting in the dark here.

I'm afraid I'm going to open her back up. Any words of wisdom that may help me avoid taking 4 step back?

You left the thrust button in the cross shafts? That won't work in the front.

you will need to pull the powerlock, and drive out the thrust button. You can do it without splitting the powerlock open, but you will have to pull the carrier from the housing, and take a pin punch from either end to drive out the roll pin and then both hat sections will fall out.

The thrust plug is only used if you have tapered roller bearings in the rear axle, like an early Jeep or Scout.

The good news is that you caught it now. So you only have to pull the shafts and drop out the carrier. The bad news is that you have to do some extra work. But the even better news is that I want to buy your old 19 spline internals...and that old thrust button.

You COULD take a die grinder and lop off 1/4 inch from each inner shaft...but that wouldn't make it right.

OP
OP
289junkie

289junkie

jamesroney thanks for confirming that I was afraid it was! I'll open her back up today and remove it.