• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front Floor channel Alignment

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Please tell me I'm dumb and missing something?
Here's my delema..
I have cut out the old front most passenger floor support channel and replaced with a new one (not yet welded). The old one is shown positioned next(below) the new floor support for comparison.

The original (old) floor support channel had a hole drilled just to the right of the factory body mount stud boss (see red arrow). In that location the flange end of the front support channel (were it meets the inner rocker) puts it "equal" with the flange end of the front "mid" floor support channel were "it" meets the inner rocker.

With the new support channel bolted in it's "proper" body mount hole, it puts the front most floor support channel flange a good 1/2" further out to the right than the "mid" floor channel flange.

Both the "replacement" front floor support channel and the "original" front floor support channel are the same length and have the body mount stud boss hole in the same location (see laser mark lining up the holes).

The Mid support channel isin't or doesn't seem to be crushed or bent anywhere along it's length and it seemed to have been in it's relative proper location when the inner and outer rockers were removed.

This body at some point had a side hit at the lower rear passenger door/rocker area which did fold some of these areas in a bit but was pulled out (crudely enough) but was relatively in alignment after the fact.

Any ideas what might be happening here or some ideas on a resolve?
Thanks Brothers

Attachments

• IMG_1935.jpg
    IMG_1935.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1927.jpg
    IMG_1927.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1930.jpg
    IMG_1930.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1931.jpg
    IMG_1931.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Dave. was the body mount bolt through the hole with the tube support, or the second one?

Hank

OP
OP
dave67fd

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Hey Dave. was the body mount bolt through the hole with the tube support, or the second one?

Hank

Hey Hank,
Well not sure which hole it was in when on its previous or original frame but the hole to the right (without the boss) is the only hole it would line up with the body mount on my frame.
This is a pic before the rockers were removed

Attachments

• IMG_0999.jpg
    IMG_0999.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 66

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Dave, when I did mine I had to adjust the middle one to make sure the inner rocker was straight. I would mock up the inner and outer rocker and adjust the outboard section of the middle support to fit. The most important fits would be the front and rear door posts. That side impact could have tweeked something. Ken

OP
OP
dave67fd

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Thanks Ken,
I thought the same after thinking about it a bit more.
As both the front and rear door posts will be replaced anyway I will wait when all is aligned as you mentioned and fab up a piece of C channel to bring the mid support out to meet the inner rocker.

In my last pic you can see the rear portion of the floor rippled/buckled but the floor pan area on the transmission hump near the mid floor channel looks good so i didn't expect it would have moved that much.
Thanks again

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I think it is a lot easier to do one part at a time to rebuild these floor and door pieces. Lots of measurements and bracing. It is nice to have the original parts on for a reference point when installing new parts. Good luck, Ken