• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front Floor Channel Help!

Jasonj105

Hey Guys, I need some help. This is my first time replacing a floor channel or floor. So I tacked in the front floor channel and the pans and tunnel aren't anywhere close to lining up. Can someone measure from the bottom of their front floor channel to the bottom of the inner rocker please? I have a measurement of 5.75 inches. Thank you for all your help.

Floor%20Channel-2.jpg

Front%20Channel-1.jpg

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
confused what you are asking for. I see a 5.75 next to a 2 inch BL puck and the channel.

OP
OP
Jasonj105

Jasonj105

Im asking for the measurement from the bottom of the channel to the bottom of the inner rocker. I guess the angle of the picture could have been better.

Last edited:

71 CA Bronco

It looks to me like the cowl sprung. Did you brace the cowl really well before cutting sheet metal? If so, I made the same mistake. Between teaching myself body work, to weld, and the cowl issue. I finally gave up and purchased the pre-fabricated cowl from Dynacorn. At least I knew it was made square on a jig. I eventually got everything lined up but it was a bear even with the pre-fab stuff. Good luck.

suckerpunched

Jason, heres my 2 cents worth of advise. The floor pan welds to lip of the rocker in one place, you could slide it front to back or side to side, but vertically there is one choice, it welds to the lip the old floor pan was welded to. like mentioned above, bracing the body to hold it alignment is really important, it will move around more than you think. I would only do this with the doors in place. My advise is hang the doors. check the doors fit at bottom of door to rocker panel and rear edge of door to front edge of quarter panel. jack the body around accordingly to get good alignment and brace it. this will verify that it is square and that the doors will fit when you are done. I looks like the new channel rises up too high in the middle, the transmission tunnel area. It wouldn't be the first reproduction part that was made wrong, or the first time one had to be cut apart and reconfigured. but definitely something could have moved and you need to make sure you have it squared up. In the end the channel has to fit tight to the floor pan and get welded to it all the way across the truck including the tunnel area.

pennyduke

Loc.
Stafford
Do you have all of the Body Lift pucks in place and tightened down? Also make sure that there are no jack stands or anything holding the body up anywhere. I'm doing the same thing in a few weeks but I will see if I can get you that measurement today. My old brace is in place but its pretty rusted and may have some sag. Not sure how good it will be for a measurement.
Is that a 2" body lift? It looks like more to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jasonj105

Jasonj105

Good info guys, thank you. The body is all supported by the floor channel right now. No jack stands or bracing. It is a two inch body lift from Wild Horses. I had a brain fart, so last night I ran a straight edge from the #2 floor channel on the passenger side over the #1 floor channel and the #1 is definitely higher. It seems like I may be about 1/4 too high on the channel. The tunnel has some play and I think moving it another 3/8 of an inch or so could get me where I need to be. But if anyone can grab that measurement it would be helpful. Thank you everyone. I'm sure ill need more help.

pennyduke

Loc.
Stafford
Just measured mine and it looks like 6 inches, but mine is very crusty with no clear line at the bottom of the rocker. I would use a dimension from someone else. But you are close from what I can see.