• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Frustrated fires but wont run

MonsterBIlly

I am so frustrated. I have a 75 with a sniper and it wont run. It fires but wont stay running.
I had to remove the front accessories because the water pump gasket was leaking. so, i backed it into the driveway and tore apart the font end. I sealed it up and put the shit back together. now it wont run....

it was missing a little when i backed it into the garage this morning. But now, ugghhhhh.

It turns over and pops a little but wont start or idle. It has a sniper which was tuned pretty well tuned.

i didn't touch poop. what am i missing? it has spark, some fuel. timing wasn't changed.

i miss carbs

EODMike

I don't have an EFI, but I recently had an issue with my distribuer where a tiny little clip came off and pushed it out of timing just enough that it wouldn't crank. Sounds like you can get yours started but won't stay running. Mine would turn over, but not even start. May not be your issue, but just a point you may look into. I like my carb, even though it is temperamental at times.

Jfryjfry

Are you sure you’re getting fuel? Will it run on ether/starting fluid?

ransil

Bronco Guru
If you tool the distributor out then you put in back in 180 out

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Common theme with these TBI's. Need to make sure it is getting power and it is grounded. And by power I mean 100%, not 98 like some old school setups and they work fine, with a carb and points.

Back to basics, you have fuel pressure? What? Plug wires to correct plug? Yeah I know I've never made that mistake except like 3 times in 50 years.

You have good clean fuel?

"remove front accessories". Did you remove alternator or any wires or grounds?

I'd check basic that your sniper is getting solid electric in run and start. That it is grounded well. That your fuel pump is getting elec in run start and ground.

Friend of mine who still talks to me after I recommended a sniper, and who has had nothing but problems for 9 months with it, after it sat at a local repair shop for 6 months diagnosing a bad ignition switch wire, and a factory splice in the harness under the frame causing erratic powering to the unit, finally fixed.

Iam of the opinion, if you add on fancy new electronic stuff, add on the fancy new wire harness, or parralel the system with it's own harness.

OP
OP
MonsterBIlly

MonsterBIlly

I found the issue. The plugs were fouled. never had it happen this bad before. Its really weird. They are very new plugs. less that 1k miles on them. So the fuel setting must have been way off.