• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel guage stopped working

Jeepeater

few weeks ago, I noticed my fuel guage stopped working. Even when I fill the tank, it doesn't work. The 1st time I noticed this, It started working after about a 1/2hr driving. Now It doesn't move at all. Where do I start looking?

gladrich

Mine stopped woeking a couple of weeks ago so I crawled underneath and followed the wires back to where the sensor plugs into the fule tank. I unplugged it, cleaned it up a little with a rag and plugged it back in, It has been worjing OK since then. You might also want to check fuses.

Boston71

Loc.
Boston, MA
You may have already thought of this, but what the heck.

Flip the tank selector switch to AUX. Leave it there for about 5 minutes (while the truck is running) and then flip it back to Main. It works for me everytime.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
As posted check the connections including the ground wire but more than likely the sending unit is on its last leg.

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
Take your connector off at the tank and ground the connections. With your key to the on position, you should see the fuel gauge rise to "full". If when grounding the wires you don't see any movement on the gauge, it's probably a faulty gauge. If you get a full swing on the gauge after the test, it's probably a faulty seding unit. This test will also let you know if the wiring is operational from the tank connection to the gauge if the gauge works after grounding. Always make sure you have power for the gauge when all else fails.

For everyone else, the selector switch for front and rear tanks is always a first check.

Good Luck.