• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel Injection or Carb it

scottk

I am new to the forum and new to the EB's. I recently picked up a 71' bronco that has a fuel injected 302 in it. Well... it has a fuel injected 302 with the lower plenum, injectors and fuel rail. The rest is missing. The po bought it this way and never finished it. However, along the way he bought a Edelbrock performer intake. So I have been contemplating either finishing the fuel injection system or converting it to a carb. The project is for my 11 year old son, it will be his first vehicle for high school. I can tune a carb but have very little experience with fuel injection. I have found the wiring harnesses that make the conversion easy, but how hard are they to tune and assemble? I would like to make this as uncomplicated as possible so that he will be able to work on it as well but I also want to keep it reliable. Fords FI system is very proven. Let me know your thoughts on the carb setup vs FI.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
I'd say since you're starting with a 5.0 to go ahead and put together the rest of the EFI system. Being that it's for your 11 y/o son's first ride you've got time on your side to source all the required parts to finish it off with plenty of testing time to work out any bugs and make it rock solid reliable by the time you hand him the keys! Depending on what you've got (courtesy of the PO) on hand, I'd go with the Mass Air system off an '89-'93 Mustang. That's what the aftermarket harnesses are geared towards and it's a very flexible system as far as keeping up with future engine upgrades/ mods down the road. It would also be a great opportunity for the BOTH of you to learn the ins-n-outs of the EFI system for easy troubleshooting down the road when he becomes the actual driver.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd agree sounds like you pretty much have whats needed for EFI. really its only the wiring that can give headaches after that EFI self tunes and diagnosis. So its more or less a fuel system for dummy's. Thats not to say it it wont have issues from time to time. But there are some very knowledgeable guys on this site that can usually walk you through most anything.
Of course I also like carbs more but if I had most of the FI parts in front of me I'd probably go that route.

Last edited:

rob wilson

Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
When I built my 347, I went with a Holley Truck Avenger for many of the same reasons you mentioned, mostly the simplicity. I'm now gathering parts for FI because I've never been satisfied with the carb. I would HIGHLY recommend going FI and skip the frustration of constantly tuning a carb that never seems quite right. Now I've got to decide if I go with the stock 19Lb Injectors, MAF and other parts (from the donor) or buy new 30Lb (motor should be making 385HP according to desktop dyno) and larger MAF ect. Like my sig says, Bronco, the project that never ends!

skipdog69

It really depends on your technical knowledge / experience. The Holley Avenger works well but its no EFI system. But if you’re looking to keep it simple go carb. You can sell the EFI parts and pick up a nice carb for an even swap.

OP
OP
S

scottk

Thanks for all of the information. Now, I have another question that I can't seem to google a straight answer on.

I have an oportunity to buy a complete 1995 351w fuel injection system. I know that the lower intake will not work because the windsor is a wider block but will the upper plenum and the rest of the fuel injection bolt on to the 302 lower? The PO had rebuilt the 302 that is in the bronco but I am contemplating just going with a 351w roller motor and selling the 302. Kinda up in the air right now on which way to go. Any suggestions and info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

NYLES

Bronco Guru
351 upper efi from a truck wont fit under your hood......Id just finish the 302 with EFI

btw EFI is pretty easy

OP
OP
S

scottk

Thanks Nyles,

Even with the 3" body lift it won't fit huh? Wow they must be really tall. I appreciate that information.

Thanks,

Scott

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
3" body lift maybe, BC Broncos does make an adapter plate that will mak it fit under the hood.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
It's not the the truck intakes themselves are that much taller (about an inch) but more the dual intake throttle body positioning and orientation as your hood slopes down. 3" body lift w/ BIG hood scoop and you might be able to squeeze it in. Wouldn't be able to see over it though!

You could do the 351W with the BC adapter. In that case you'd keep the 5.8L lower, bolt on the BC adapter and run a stock 5.0 car upper. Adapter runs $99 and comes with all the hardware and new gaskets (I know, I just got one!). Guy's are damn near GIVING the stock 5.0 uppers away. I was going to do this for my '68 crawler project until I scored a Lightning 5.8L GT40 lower...;D Stock 5.8 I don't think I'd need the GT40 stuff but I'm dropping in a nice 5.0 cam, Edelbrock alum heads (2.02/ 1.60 valves) w/ full roller rockers & want the extra flow.

If you're going to change your engine plans I say NOW is the time to do it so you get headed in the right direction. Full roller 5.8L gives you ALOT of options down the road and that's why I went with it over the 5.0 (plus I pulled it for $250)!:cool:

5.8L injection system is NOT what you want for your 302/ 5.0. '89-'93 mustang stuff would be ideal to match what you've already got.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Hey now, you said you can tune a carb!!! Then teach your young son how to tune a carb!!! If you don't, he may never see one!!! Play with that and then down the road ya'll can do the EFI.;D;D;D

OP
OP
S

scottk

NGABronco,

Hahaha... Thanks. He has been working on my 521 stroker with me for the last year. He can read a vacumn guage and is starting to learn a bit about plugs. I will probably always have my 79 ford with a carb, so when he is old enough to step up to that level of power he can drive it. :)

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Thanks Nyles,

Even with the 3" body lift it won't fit huh? Wow they must be really tall. I appreciate that information.

Thanks,

Scott

Even with a 3 body truck upper wont fit

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
If it dosen't run now what good is it? Go buy a carb and dist.,if its a roller cam motor make sure you get the right gear for it. If you start today you could have all the parts before labor day and have it running by the end.

The FI system is by far the best way to go but it sounds like you got $1000 worth of parts to buy and 30-40 hrs of time once you gather all the parts.

There still lots of good summer time left. Make it run!