• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Full width axles vs stock width

2FAST

I have a full width D44 from a 78 Bronco and was going to narrow it to fit the stock width. I read articles on grinding the cast peice and cutting approximately 6" from the long end and welding back together. I want to put a high pinion in and before I cut this I thought I would ask opinions on full width versus stock width. Should I narrow it or put full width axles at both ends? What about wheel offset if running full width? I'm planning on 5 inch suspension lift and use it for trails and rocks as well as occasionally commuting on streets and highways in the Arizona area. Thanks for your opinins.

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
I would leave it full width, they don't really stick out as far as you think. I have a full width D60 which is wider than your d44. With my wheel backspacing at 5 5/8" the tires only stick out past the fenders at couple inches each side.
a97beffc0a9e588a37d6b751687b08a3.jpg

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
X2 on Desert Thrasher reasoning. The added bonus is greater stability on trails with the full widths, which you will definetily feel.

Digger556

Leave it full width, especially with 5" of lift. You could use the stability and as others have pointed out, it doesn't stick out that far.

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
17x9 wheels with 4.5"bs and 37x1250s on full width dana 60 with silverback flares:

love it :)

Attachments

• DSCF1755.jpg
    DSCF1755.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 327
  • DSCF1757.jpg
    DSCF1757.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 321
  • DSCF1740.jpg
    DSCF1740.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 309
  • DSCF1746.jpg
    DSCF1746.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 249

EB70

Contributor
I like snow wheeling. And I mean the float on top type of wheeling here. Therefore I pretty much have to have a minimum of a 10" wheel, 12" preferred and a wide tire. Think 14-16" wide. The only issue I face with full-width is the tires sticking out a foot.

If you are like normal people and run a 12.5 wide tire on an 8-9" rim it is a no brainer. Full width brings a slew of advantages and basically no drawbacks other than tire coverage.

Plus parts are off the shelf and easy to find for stock Ford F-150 stuff.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
If you use humvee wheels on full width axles the tires are almost back in the stock location

twiisted71

If you use humvee wheels on full width axles the tires are almost back in the stock location

Well not quite and you will have to run spacers to clear the tie rod arms and to keep good steering angles. I need 2.5" spacers with 37" tires on H1 wheels in order to retain steering angles as the 7" backspacing of H1 wheels makes the tires hit the radius arms too quick for my tastes. But if you need a 5 to 8 lug adapter anyway that may kill two birds with one stone! You could run 20" rims from a modern truck to clear the TR arms without quite so much backspacing

When I lived in La and they started enforcing a fender coverage law it resulted in lots of nice old rigs being taken off the road :-(

You could look into Baja prerunner style fenders for legal coverage as IMHO Broncos just don't look right with 8" fender flares sticking out from the fenders!;D

OP
OP

2FAST

Thanks to everyone for their inputs. I'm going to stay with the full width and run 37x12.50. Great pics too.