• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Garage door

NickMcAFP

Contributor
Loc.
Sturbridge
In typical fashion I'm spinning out looking at all of the variables and possible solutions and I'm hoping for some straightforward advice or a path forward I haven't considered.

I just got married and we are hunting for a new house as my current house isn't going to cut it for our new shared family situation.

I currently have the best possible garage.

With our current price range it seems we have to pick between;

1. Great house with not enough garage
2. Great garage with not enough house

It seems like so many of the houses where I live (New England) have these squat little garages that can't accommodate a lifted vehicle.

Outside of knocking an existing garbage down to build a new one does anyone have any creative solutions they are using to keep their lifted Broncos safe?

Contributor
How much lift is on your Bronco and what size tires are you running?
I’m sitting on about 3.5” SL with a 1” BL, with 37” tires. With the hard top on it barely fits in my garage. I am going to lower it one more inch and trim the fenders a little more if I have to so it will fit no problem.

OP
OP
NickMcAFP

NickMcAFP

Contributor
Loc.
Sturbridge
How much lift is on your Bronco and what size tires are you running?
I’m sitting on about 3.5” SL with a 1” BL, with 37” tires. With the hard top on it barely fits in my garage. I am going to lower it one more inch and trim the fenders a little more if I have to so it will fit no problem.
Bronco isn't done yet (which just adds to my anxiety).. it's going to be 2 inches of lift on 32s though.

I keep running into garages that have about 72 inches of clearance.

I measured my brother's bronco which sits on 33s with an unknown sagging lift and it would fit.

If someone with a similar setup can reassure me that I'm freaking out for no reason I would love it.

Contributor
That is a very short door! Someone will be a long I’m sure to help you out.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Your question about creative solutions is tough to answer since you don't actually have a place with parameters that need to be met. Yeah I know, not helpful at all.

Regional differences will change what you may be dealing with. Areas with older homes had carriage houses if anything that were later converted to garages for model Ts and such. It wasn't until cars got some size to them before garages became a little bigger. Remember most people only had 1 car until the 70-80s. During this time 7' high doors became the norm. Even now many design homes for 16'x7' which is too small. 8' high doors are now more common.

If you are building new you can get doors in 3" height increments . For example 7'3", 7'6", 7'9". Headroom is as important as door opening. Most box stores and many door companies just want to sell you what they have in stock and tell you they can't do anything extra.

Know what you need for height before developing any plans. You really don't want a opening under 9' wide preferably '10. Yes someone is going to tell how they stick their suburban in a 7'x7' opening. They usually won't tell you about pulling in the mirrors or hitting the sides etc.

Might be easier to build the garage you want versus the house??? Remember setbacks and side yards along with square footage for accessory builds is something you need to know going in.

You can pm me with more specific questions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NickMcAFP

NickMcAFP

Contributor
Loc.
Sturbridge
84 inches is pretty much standard with modern garages. I would look at newer houses!
We are looking at a mix of newer and older. The trend seems to be that newer houses consistently have the garage I want, but not the house I need/family wants (in our price range). Older houses tend to check all of the boxes for the family (office space, separation so people can get away from each other, typically a bigger yard for the money) but lack the garage I need.

OP
OP
NickMcAFP

NickMcAFP

Contributor
Loc.
Sturbridge
Your question about creative solutions is tough to answer since you don't actually have a place with parameters that need to be met. Yeah I know, not helpful at all.

Regional differences will change what you may be dealing with. Areas with older homes had carriage houses if anything that were later converted to garages for model Ts and such. It wasn't until cars got some size to them before garages became a little bigger. Remember most people only had 1 car until the 70-80s. During this time 7' high doors became the norm. Even now many design homes for 16'x7' which is too small. 8' high doors are now more common.

If you are building new you can get doors in 3" height increments . For example 7'3", 7'6", 7'9". Headroom is as important as door opening. Most box stores and many door companies just want to sell you what they have in stock and tell you they can't do anything extra.

Know what you need for height before developing any plans. You really don't want a opening under 9' wide preferably '10. Yes someone is going to tell how they stick their suburban in a 7'x7' opening. They usually won't tell you about pulling in the mirrors or hitting the sides etc.

Might be easier to build the garage you want versus the house??? Remember setbacks and side yards along with square footage for accessory builds is something you need to know going in.

You can pm me with more specific questions.
The house we looked at yesterday was built in 1930. Garage is only attached by a breezeway so there's the looming option of knocking it down and building something suitable.. but financially that's not an option I'm overly excited about.

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Family has to be first priority.

Buy the house that meets your family’s needs and plan for a detached garage when money and time allow for it. If you buy the house that works for everyone, all will be happier. If you buy the garage, only 1 person will be content…which will be overshadowed by grumpy kids and wife.

OP
OP
NickMcAFP

NickMcAFP

Contributor
Loc.
Sturbridge
Family has to be first priority.

Buy the house that meets your family’s needs and plan for a detached garage when money and time allow for it. If you buy the house that works for everyone, all will be happier. If you buy the garage, only 1 person will be content…which will be overshadowed by grumpy kids and wife.
I don't disagree with the sentiment. It is slightly oversimplified though. I have an old Land Rover that is currently off the road. My 9 year old son is enamoured with it much the same way I was with my father's Bronco at his age. We ended up pulling the trigger on a house that is going to need additional garage added to it and he is livid that 'she' is going to have to live in my brother's garage temporarily.

We'll likely leave the existing, insufficient garage for the time being and put up something additional at some point in the future. My wife has promised me it will be a priority once we are settled in.