• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Garage height to pull engine?

lmelmed

Looking to pull engine at home with cherry picker hoist. Just the engine - not the transmission.

Garage height is 7’4”.

Bronco is stock. Top of front is 41”. Could lower tire pressure and maybe drop an inch or two more.

Anyone who has used a picker (harbor freight) know if I will have enough height to lift and clear? Seems awful close but I don’t know how much will be lost to the hoist/picker.

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
You might have a tough time of it. you have to remember that the Bronco front will rise when the weight of the engine is take off so clearing the rad support could become your problem. My Garage has 10 ft ceilings and I am OK.

AC932

Contributor
I did it in the driveway, only takes 2 hours. I think you'll have enough vertical room inside for the hoist, but not for the hood standing up. You'll probably want the hood resting against the windshield (with a towel/moving blanket!) to get enough room.

As for clearing the front, I had about 1/4" of clearance on a stock truck with the harbor freight hoist. Ya gotta keep pumping it cuz it sags a little at the max height. Might help to find a heavy friend to stand on the bumper when you go over the front, or just remove the wheels and put it on some low jack stands.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
You can always take off the tires and rims and set the axle on low jack stands or scrap rims with no tires (not the best but it works) to gain some extra inches as well.

68Broncoz

Contributor
I just installed my engine and would agree the highest point would be the top of the hood. If you can open your hood up on the windshield frame you can likely pull the engine.

That said it might be easier to roll it outside to pull it.

I pulled from the intake manifold.

Chris

Jaybr

Contributor
Following as I’ll be swapping engines soon. I don’t have height issues in the shop but not sure my Northern tool hoist will get it over the radiator support.

I do have a few options:

Tractor with front end loader and backhoe, could use load leveler off hoist

List is going in next week so I could put truck on lift, remove wheels, and lower it as far as possible

I also need to install body lift and trans so thought about just taking the body off with the lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I always have to either flatten the tires or pull them off and use jackstands under the snout of the hub, just be sure you can still get your hoist under the axle.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Like Yeller said, I think you'll need to at least pull the wheels and tires off, but even better, remove the front springs too and let it sit on the bump stops otherwise the grill will raise as you unload the weight of the engine from the frame like svastano stated above.

ledslinger29

Easiest way I’ve found is to roll it out into the driveway, lay the hood against the windshield, pull the motor and push it bsck inside. It’s a lot lighter with no motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk