• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gear pattern opinion

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Look like the pinion needs to go deeper? I get this same pattern with .010 and .006 backlash. I'd like to have .008, but it's one or the other to get the lockouts lined up.

Attachments

• 20220525_175440_resized.jpg
    20220525_175440_resized.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 20220525_175426_resized.jpg
    20220525_175426_resized.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 56

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I’d run that. What brand gear is it? With some that’s about what you get. Moving the pinion out will make the coast side worse. I’d rather see what you have than even a perfectly centered drive side. As for backlash I prefer a little loose than a little tight, however with all new parts .006 isn’t too tight, the gear gets seated and it will open up 2-3 thousandths. 9”’s are pretty tolerant to loose back lash.

OP
OP
Teal68

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
I’d run that. What brand gear is it? With some that’s about what you get. Moving the pinion out will make the coast side worse. I’d rather see what you have than even a perfectly centered drive side. As for backlash I prefer a little loose than a little tight, however with all new parts .006 isn’t too tight, the gear gets seated and it will open up 2-3 thousandths. 9”’s are pretty tolerant to loose back lash.
Thanks for the input, and it is all new parts so thanks for the thoughts on that too. They are Richmond gears.

When I typed deeper on the pinion I meant closer to the center of the ring gear. Was hoping for a wider contact, but your comments make me feel better. This is my first time setting gears up, and this is my 3rd try on this set of gears.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I actually miss assembling them, used to do 2-3 a week, usually from all new parts. Did enough 4.88's with all the same parts that I could nail it first time.

OP
OP
Teal68

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
I actually miss assembling them, used to do 2-3 a week, usually from all new parts. Did enough 4.88's with all the same parts that I could nail it first time.
Good stuff right there! It has been rewarding learning this, and has built confidence/understanding to the point that now I'm comfortable doing an axle that doesn't have a removable chunk. I see where it could be much more labor intensive, but it wouldn't be daunting anymore.

Thanks again guys! Much appreciated!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Good stuff right there! It has been rewarding learning this, and has built confidence/understanding to the point that now I'm comfortable doing an axle that doesn't have a removable chunk. I see where it could be much more labor intensive, but it wouldn't be daunting anymore.

Thanks again guys! Much appreciated!
I enjoy working on 9” and 14 bolts. Positively despise working on anything Intergrated.

OP
OP
Teal68

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Heys guys,
Just wanted to update y'all with good news. Break in went great and the gears are still running nice and quiet too. Thanks again for y'alls input!
Much appreciated,
Tyler

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dana 30 and 44 are 99% more work than the 9".

I enjoyed the 9", hated the front 44.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I paid and watched a pro do mine. He did it in 4 hours and his rate was $50 an hour. This was his side hustle.

Best $200 I ever spent.