• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Getting rid of lift blocks. **contributed, added pics**

spreadmonkey

Loc.
Austin, Tx
Before I even made an offer on my bronco I knew that one of my first orders of business would be getting rid of these lift blocks in the rear. I'm looking at some WH leafs, and will be ordering tomorrow.

The coils in the front are aftermarket, seem to offer plenty of travel, and the truck rides surprisingly well, so I'll be leaving those as they are for now.

What I need to do, is match the coils with the appropriate leaves in order to maintain the perfect (IMO) stance it has right now. Each rear wheel has one 4.25" block. It makes me shudder, and the leafs dont even look safe. I'll email pictures to whoever is willing to post them.

I'm guessing the 4.5" 11pack Leaf Springs will be the best fit. http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Leaf_Springs_pr_4in_11pack/Leaf_Springs

Sound about right?

**I figured it was about time I became a contributor, so here are some pics. You can see the ridiculous height of the lift blocks. The second picture didn't come out well but the bottom leaf is practically falling off

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 76
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
holy lift block ... Batman....talk about riding around on stilts.

I would measure the distance from the axle to the frame and provide that info to one of our vendors, I would think that would be a better number to use when buying springs to replace. Good Luck.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
holy lift block ... Batman....talk about riding around on stilts.

I would measure the distance from the axle to the frame and provide that info to one of our vendors, I would think that would be a better number to use when buying springs to replace. Good Luck.

X2, When I bought my bronco it had 3-1/2" blocks but sat only 1" above stock height due to the sagged leaves.

7" from top of axle tube to bottom of frame seems to be the consensus on what stock height is.

Landho

Loc.
Cypress, TX
I am working on the same project right now... have 3.5" blocks and an add-a-leaf in the rear... stock leafs have serious issues...
DSC_0206.JPG

I'm going with BC Broncos 9-pack 3.5" leafs though.
Once I get the leafs installed and replace the front bumper, add a winch - I will then work on leveling things out with correct size front springs.
bcbroncos_9packleafsprings.jpg

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Assuming the jacks stands are still where they are in your pic, measuring now will be fine as the weight is still on the springs.

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
Thanks for reminding me that I have to do the same thing. I had just gotten them blocks out of my head, and here comes along Mr. 60 mega pixel camera man to give me the visual. :D lol

Those springs will sure be a lot nicer ride then the old worn out springs/blocks.

Chad

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
I went through this on a '75 that I had. I waited too long and a heavy right foot plus worn out stock springs w/blocks turned into cracked leaves and a really pretty "clang clang clang" as 2 pieces of leaf spring bounced down the road behind me.....limped it home and vowed no blocks ever again.

OP
OP
spreadmonkey

spreadmonkey

Loc.
Austin, Tx
I went through this on a '75 that I had. I waited too long and a heavy right foot plus worn out stock springs w/blocks turned into cracked leaves and a really pretty "clang clang clang" as 2 pieces of leaf spring bounced down the road behind me.....limped it home and vowed no blocks ever again.

Crap, how fast were you going when that happened? Seems like that could cause some problems at highway speeds

OP
OP
spreadmonkey

spreadmonkey

Loc.
Austin, Tx
I am working on the same project right now... have 3.5" blocks and an add-a-leaf in the rear... stock leafs have serious issues...
DSC_0206.JPG

I'm going with BC Broncos 9-pack 3.5" leafs though.
Once I get the leafs installed and replace the front bumper, add a winch - I will then work on leveling things out with correct size front springs.
bcbroncos_9packleafsprings.jpg

Nice, I might check those out instead. I just measured axle-to-frame 10", so the 3.5" is going to be a better match.

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
I was taking off from a stop sign....typical teenage launch, just not a good idea considering. Looks like you're taking care of your issue nicely!