• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gm tbi efi kit

snipes243

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
So I recently purchased a bronco that has some sorta tbi kit on it. Is there away to identify it? I think it might be a Howell kit. Looks pretty new. Any insight would be helpful.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
the only one I am familiar with is the Affordable Fuel Injection, that may be one of the earlier models. Its all early 90's GM TBI including the coil, its a really good system. I have installed several of them and never had any problems, other than the Ford OEM FI its the only one I recommend

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Howell, Affordable, and Turbo City have been the most prevalent vendors of those kits over the years. Turbo City is no longer in business. I've always liked them as well because I figured they were pretty reliable due to the OEM parts used.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
snipes243

snipes243

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
Howell, Affordable, and Turbo City have been the most prevalent vendors of those kits over the years. Turbo City is no longer in business. I've always liked them as well because I figured they were pretty reliable due to the OEM parts used.

Todd Z.
That helps narrows it downs. Just trying to track down a wiring diagram. The truck starts but it’s wired funny. Not very reliable right now haha.

ngsd

Bronco Guru
I had the same issue. I bought a rock crawler that had a Turbo City system on it from the 90's with no current support or documentation. I was able to obtain a manual locally but it had some serious wiring issues I had to correct and was lost without it. It is old but still working though.

OP
OP
snipes243

snipes243

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
I had the same issue. I bought a rock crawler that had a Turbo City system on it from the 90's with no current support or documentation. I was able to obtain a manual locally but it had some serious wiring issues I had to correct and was lost without it. It is old but still working though.
Wouldn't happen to have a copy of that you could send me? ;)

ngsd

Bronco Guru
I Do but I'm traveling. I can when I get back to my computer. Unless Todd has a copy he could send. I did archive it.

ngsd

Bronco Guru
A
I Do but I'm traveling. I can when I get back to my computer. Unless Todd has a copy he could send. I did archive it.
Actually Paul at WH has it, I downloaded it and copied him on it before.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Yoy can try pulling the cover plate on the ecm to see if there are any identifiers on the PROM ....I can also see if I can get a wiring diagram for lets say a 91 chev pu with 350,,and maybe a ECU pin out diagram i can look later today...

Yeller

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
open the cover on the ecm, there should be an identifier on the chip. Those systems are relatively simple and all follow the OEM foot print that was used from 87-96 in GM trucks, cars and vans. worst case you download a wiring diagram for a 1990 pickup and can trace it out from there. I built a bunch of those systems from salvage yard parts starting in 1989 when I was in HS, so they are not super complicated.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
As far as I know I have a GM TBI set up off of......well a GM, that was removed from a EB. It is currently still removed and each wire is tagged very well from the PO. I ALSO have a very detailed wiring diagram that came with it. I can get the #'s off the computer and if things match up for you, I can post a copy of the diagram and post up a wire color/tag name match list. Just let the holidays get over with.