• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Got my dads old 73 Bronco

Krisserapin

Hey guys So I got my dads old 73 bronco given to me to fix up. Im really new to cars in general and I know hardly anything about what Im talking about so If I say something that doesn't make since forgive me I only have the info my dad gave me. But between my dad my friends and what I pick up off here I hope to start learning.

I was hoping you guys could help me estimate how much money I'm gonna need to pile into this thing minus the paint job before it starts looking real clean and starts running like a champ.
and also how much it would be worth when its all fixed up and painted.

So I'll post some pics and what I know about the bronco.

power steering
ballanced 302 ported heads 202 intakes 1.75 exhaust valves 2.02 intake valves headers aluminum intake manifold ( less then a 1000 miles on a rebuilt engine)
curry tsd rear diff
410 gears
dual shocks
new front bushings
4 speed non compound low tranny ( dad said something about nascar having something to do with it but I'm lost)

Its got two seats in the back that prob need seat covers along with the front

I need to replace both fuel tanks and all the fuel lines (I already started to rip them out)

Needs a new steering box

Need a new battery

gotta redo all the carpet

New headliner

the rest you guys can prob see in pics.

Any help or ideas where to start would be great.

So heres the pics:

Thanks in advance guys!

OP
OP
K

Krisserapin

Not sure got to find out my dad just says I need a new one. He told me you can crank the wheel and it hardly responds.

Ive got around 2 grand right now and make only about 200 a week. How much would a project like this run? Im gonna try and do all the rust my self and im prob gonna rattle can it since its gonna get scratched alot in the dessert.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Looks like you have a good base to build on. Steering box rebuild and gas tanks will make a pretty good dent in your savings. If its gonna be a trail truck you may want to forget the carpet and just use bed liner on the floors, cheaper and easier to clean. Get it drivable and upgrade stuff as budget permits. Also plan ahead were the build is going, it saves doing things over. Good luck.

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice rig. From what I see and a some elbow grease you can get her going for two grand.

rwill

Nice truck. BUt word of advise you will spend more than you can get back out of it. Itshould be a 'hobby' not an investment.

OP
OP
K

Krisserapin

Thanks for the responses so far guys.

Well I was watching some broncos rock crawl in youtube tonight and I don't think I've ever wanted to do something more in my life. The only reason I was asking the price of what its worth was because I was considering selling it right when it was done. Bit not anymore, now im in love! Lol

So the new goal is rock crawling and trails while trying to keep it some what of a daily driver.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Like others said its a good start, looks like most of it just needs cleaning up/out. If those tanks are not too bad you can clean them out and reuse, if they have rust inside drop something in there, clean rocks, a chain, anything to knock it loose and shake it good, then take a pressure washer and wash out good, let dry for a few days and your good to go. As for the pwr steering box when you send it off, I recomend West Texas, have them convert it to a 4 turn box its worth the extra $.
You will prob want to remove one of those shocks on the rear, it will ride better, there is no need for dual shocks. Be sure to check the brakes and steering components before you drive it, very important. Check and grease the d-shafts, check and repack the front hubs and bearings, fill front and rear diffs and t-case. This will get you going, when you have Q's post away lots of good guys and gals here that will help out.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Welcome to the site. Looks like the start of a nice project, that's a great Dad you have. Make sure you make it safe first then you can work on the other stuff later. Steering, brakes, bearings, and tires should be the first things you check/fix.

OP
OP
K

Krisserapin

So from what I've been told looks like I'm gonna need to tackle this piece by piece.

Hows this sound for an order:
Tanks and fuel lines
Steering box
brakes
bearings
new tires
Lift kit
Suspension ( not sure if this would come before or after the lift)
better rollcage
Cosmetic work

So first things first before I get to far ahead of myself. What kind of tanks do I get? Is there anything special I need to know about tanks and running trails like that video I posted?